Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Choppy Video and Delayed Sound on Video Start (Frodo)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

I have been using XBMC for about a year now (Started on Eden) with 3 separate PC's using a shared mySQL database. The first is a compact Acer aspire connected to the main TV which worked fine on 11, the second is an old Pentium 4 box which was somewhat slow navigating and loading images, and third runs fine and also runs the mysql database. Since the upgrade to XBMC v12 on all devices, the old P4 box runs much faster and smoother, but the acer aspire has choppy video and delayed sound for the first 4-5 seconds of any video played. Once the sound catches up to the video it runs fine for the duration of playback. I know 4-5 seconds doesn't sound like much, but it's making me consider downgrading back to 11. I'm hoping there is a small setting or reason for this as everything is fine on the old P4 PC. I've done quite a bit of searching on this, but there isn't much to find on v12 specific issues yet.

Setup:
Acer Aspire - Video connected via HDMI to TV, Audio connected from audio out to analog receiver (No hdmi ports on receiver)
Pentium 4 - S-Video to Componant video to TV, audio out to analog to TV

I've read that one of the bigger changes in version 12 was the audio and improved SQL lookups so i'm kind of assuming this is why my P4 is running better and my Acer is not, but I don't know what (if anything) I can do to resolve. Any guidance is appreciated.

Debug Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qrue1lmfidpz6t4/liFpckuyDb

UPDATE: I looked over the acer in a little more detail and found an SPDIF out which i've connected rather than the analog audio output. The menu and library navigation is much faster (not sure why) but the video lag is still present. Just to skip passed the obvious, I've followed the audio wiki and and everything is set as indicated, Direct sound, exclusive mode, etc. but open to any suggestions
I've been able to resolve the issue and thought I would post in case anyone else has the same problem. I ended up doing a complete uninstall and removed all xbmc folders. I then did a clean install of v12 and everything works great once again. I'm not sure if it was the fresh install, or that maybe the skin I was using (Neon) has issues with Frodo but all is now good.