Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC and Amahi on the same machine with Ubuntu, is it possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have only 1 computer laying around the house and i wanted to make a media center + home server in it, so i installed ubuntu on it and i setted up a home server with Amahi already, and now i want to put XBMC to work with my home theater.

Is that possible? Because according to what I've read here (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...troduction) the PC is supposed to be only for one, right?

Thanks in advance!
up??
What are you asking? You have a computer. Install XBMC. Plug it into your TV. Job done.
Hmm okay! Now i have another question. The computer i have available does not have an HDMI out, my question is, any hdmi capable video card should work for 1080p right? As long as it fits the computer.

Thanks!
Get an nvidia card
patricktlo, were you able to install and successfully run XBMC with Amahi on your system? Using Ubuntu 12.04, I found that if I had Amahi installed and installed XBMC Frodo, XBMC would either not run or cause an internal error (something about xorg or xbmc.bin). However, without Amahi installed, XBMC ran just fine. I found the install instructions for Fedora+Amahi+XBMC (https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/XBMC ) and there's a step that calls for an additional "xorg-x11-utils" package which may be the answer, but it looks like that package is only part of rpmfusion and is not applicable to Ubuntu.
if you install xbmc from our ppa there are no additional packages needed. Look at the xbmc log file with debugging enabled. This should give a hint what is going wrong.
(2013-07-16, 11:06)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]if you install xbmc from our ppa there are no additional packages needed. Look at the xbmc log file with debugging enabled. This should give a hint what is going wrong.

Thanks. I'll make sure to take a look at the logs when I get access to the box again. Because I found XBMC to work when Amahi wasn't installed, my first assumption was that the Amahi package altered files that XBMC was dependent on (e.g. xorg) and consequently caused the XBMC errors I was seeing. This would also explain why the Fedora+Amahi+XBMC install instructions require an additional "xorg-x11-utils" package (though my Linux knowledge is limited and this package could just be a fundamental difference between Fedora and Ubuntu).