Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Openelec, Ubuntu, or dual boot?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Before I start, I should preface this with I know NOTHING about Linux but I want to learn. However it's like learning a new language, just a matter of where to start. I could probably easily do this with Windows, but I want to learn Linux.

I ordered a ZBOX which I plan to make an HTPC (4GB ram and 64 GB SSD). I have some pretty simple needs. I'm going to use Hulu for TV, Spotify (NOT a Spotify app, but FULL Spotify) for music and I'd need to be able to browse the web for watching streaming sports. It's really XBMC + a little web browsing + spotify. I don't know if I should go with Openelec, Ubuntu or dual boot (or maybe something else?)

Ideas or suggestions?
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

If you want to learn Linux, go with an Ubuntu installation. OpenELEC tries to provide an appliance-like user experience for XBMC, so it does its best to hide the underlying operating system (Linux) from you. Plus, it's a stripped-down Linux without a desktop environment. For a dedicated XBMC system, it's great; but if you want to learn and use Linux as a general user, it would not be a good choice.

When you say "dual-boot", are you referring to dual-booting between Linux (OpenELEC or Ubuntu) and Windows or between the two Linux distributions (OpenELEC and Ubuntu)?
(2013-03-02, 04:03)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]When you say "dual-boot", are you referring to dual-booting between Linux (OpenELEC or Ubuntu) and Windows or between the two Linux distributions (OpenELEC and Ubuntu)?
Between the two Linux distributions.

What would I 'miss' by not having OpenElec (if anything)?

EDIT: Thanks, good to be here!!
You can install and run XBMC as an application in Ubuntu, so you don't really "miss" anything by not installing OpenELEC other than really fast boot times.
By having openelec you miss learning anything about linux, as openelec pretty much shuts you out of the operating system, or editing anything, or adding extra packages.
If browsing the web is a requirement then you'll have to go with ubuntu. Openelec doesnt have a GUI other than xbmc. With it you'd be unable to close xbmc and use other apps.