Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCbuntu 12 boots into nothing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I've been using XBMCbuntu 11 for quite a while but I figured i could upgrade to the newest version. Downloaded, put on USB stick and installed like with the previous version. Installation completes, and reboots. The XBMC logo shows up but then the screen just goes black and shows just a mouse pointer in the middle of the screen.

I'm not sure what to do to figure out what goes wrong - the system does not seem to respond to keypresses, it does not appear to have network connectivity (scanned my net with nmap, to no avail). I tested with the live disk which shows the exact same behaviour (just takes a bit longer to boot).

I'm using the Intel disk with an Intel i3 2125 CPU on an Intel motherboard. Screen is connected over HDMI.

Any pointers on where to start trying?

Regards, Bob
I'm by no means an expert, however I had a similar problem yesterday. It turned out my graphics chip wasn't supported in 12 so had to install a beta version, which works fine.

xbmcbuntu-12.00-beta1-repack.iso
So, I got into 'recovery mode' from grub. There is something listed in an error log about a missing library (crystalhd). But i'm not sure how to check for this.

Can I make the system try to start xbmc from console, while logging the errors to a certain file?

(2013-03-02, 18:34)RhysGM Wrote: [ -> ]I'm by no means an expert, however I had a similar problem yesterday. It turned out my graphics chip wasn't supported in 12 so had to install a beta version, which works fine.

xbmcbuntu-12.00-beta1-repack.iso

Thanks for the tip. I was assuming Intel HD Graphics 3000 (integrated on CPU) would be supported. Was my assumption wrong?
(2013-03-02, 18:34)RhysGM Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the tip. I was assuming Intel HD Graphics 3000 (integrated on CPU) would be supported. Was my assumption wrong?

My integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200 was not. According to the supported hardware wiki;

Code:
Intel GMA 950 (945G) or newer supported, Intel GMA X4500HD (G45) or newer recommended.

Is yours newer? Although I'm probably leading you down the wrong path.
The problem with intel is not the same as ATI, the problem with ATI HD5xxx and lower are NOT supported by v12 final.

The problem with intel is a kernel RC6 must be disabled.

See XBMC_for_Linux_specific_FAQ#Boot_issues (wiki) FOfr intel boot issues and fix. There is also a thread on this.

uNi
(2013-03-02, 19:28)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with intel is not the same as ATI, the problem with ATI HD5xxx and lower are NOT supported by v12 final.

The problem with intel is a kernel RC6 must be disabled.

See XBMC_for_Linux_specific_FAQ#Boot_issues (wiki) FOfr intel boot issues and fix. There is also a thread on this.

uNi

Hi uNiversal, that fixed the issue! For some reason, even though I selected 'Sandy Bridge' during install the kernel parameters were not added to the boot line. Edit the GRUB config and add the 'i915.i915_enable_rc6=0' to the kernel line. System will work fine after that.
Idk if those fixes are part of V12 XBMCbuntu or if they were added after, either way you can do two things.

1) mark this thread as solved and edit tittle of thread to include Intel GPU (or something to that effect., others looking at google can hopefully find it better and not open yest another thread on same thing..

2) Open a bugreport on trac and cc lcapriotti, so if his hasnt been fixed he can look at it, if not the bugreport can just be closed if it has been fixed and will be part of v12.1

I think it has been added post v12 but Im not 100% sure at this moment.

uNi