Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCbuntu TV Card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a PCI Express TV tuner card that supports HD and has dual freeview inputs that also works with XBMCbuntu out of the box?
For heaven's sake tell us what TV service you are trying to access? TV standards are different all around the world.

xbmc does not record TV. It can control backend software that does - eg tvheadend or mythtv.
(2013-03-03, 21:32)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]For heaven's sake tell us what TV service you are trying to access? TV standards are different all around the world.

It's called freeview where I come from, it comes through an aerial in the roof.
(2013-03-03, 22:07)RhysGM Wrote: [ -> ]It's called freeview where I come from

And where might that be?
(2013-03-03, 22:10)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-03, 22:07)RhysGM Wrote: [ -> ]It's called freeview where I come from

And where might that be?

It says on the left, "England" it's in the United Kingdom just across pond.
(2013-03-03, 21:32)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]For heaven's sake tell us what TV service you are trying to access? TV standards are different all around the world.

xbmc does not record TV. It can control backend software that does - eg tvheadend or mythtv.

To be fair - with the OP's location England, and the service being called by the OP Freeview - it's a fair bet it's DVB-T (SD) and DVB-T2 (HD)...
@RhysGM - most disappointed with the "England" tag given the name of "Rhys", I've no idea where your loyalties lie in the 6 Nations now :-)

I'm not aware of any (doesn't mean they *don't* exist, though) - but have a look here. It's a pretty short list - plus TBS needs some fiddling because the drivers aren't fully open source so aren't included in any kernel.

In my experience, Hauppauge and Tevii are better supported than most "out of the box", so maybe squint at their web sites. You might have to compromise on native support versus multiple tuners, though.
I use a TBS 6280, dual turner DVB-T2/Freeview HD card with Tvheadend. Works well, but will need drivers compiled manually and seems to dislike being suspended/resumed (i.e. won't work after resume).
(2013-03-04, 00:30)Prof Yaffle Wrote: [ -> ]@RhysGM - most disappointed with the "England" tag given the name of "Rhys", I've no idea where your loyalties lie in the 6 Nations now :-)

Big Grin It depends what company I'm with but I do swing both ways.

(2013-03-04, 00:30)Prof Yaffle Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not aware of any (doesn't mean they *don't* exist, though) - but have a look here. It's a pretty short list - plus TBS needs some fiddling because the drivers aren't fully open source so aren't included in any kernel.

In my experience, Hauppauge and Tevii are better supported than most "out of the box", so maybe squint at their web sites. You might have to compromise on native support versus multiple tuners, though.

Cheers for the input, I'll take a look.
Sorry - didn't answer the original question. Pinnacle PCTV 290e works pretty well with recent kernels and TVHeadend. I'm not using it in my main system - but I have had it working with XBMC and TV Headend under Linux and it worked quite reliably. I don't use standby/suspend though.

Single tuner USB DVB-T/T2 (so gets Freeview HD) device. You only need a single T2 tuner in the UK as all the HD content is on the same mux (i.e. the same frequency) and so you can record and watch different HD services with a single tuner. So you could use a DVB-T tuner or two for the 5 SD muxes and a single T2 tuner for the HD mux pretty effectively.
Yeah we have a service called Freeview in NZ too Smile However it is DVB-T (not T2) or DVB-S.

English/Welsh whatever, you don't have the world cup, so who cares about the 6 nations!