Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: viewing Live TV from remote laptop?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have Live TV functional on my XBMC media server downstairs, but i'm curious what level of functionality a remote laptop upstairs would have?

i believe i can set the PVR to record then i can watch after the recording, but i wanted to do two things
1. use the remote computer to set recordings or do all recordings have to be done from the machine with the tv tuner device installed?
2. is there a way to stream live tv to a remote laptop upstairs?

i know i can do remote desktop in to the media center, but not exactly what i'm looking to do
It depends on what backend you're using... most have a web interface for (1), and many have a 'watch now' function that will pass the stream to (e.g.) VLC. I suggest you post a "how do I?" question in the relevant sub-forum depending on what backend you've got.
I've done this with mediaportal; had xbmc on both the htpc (server) and the laptop. Had to share the mediapotal timeshift folder, and on the laptop configure the MP plugin with server up, etc. I'll look into it when I get home. Worked great, just went to ' live tv' on xbmc..
That's right. Share time shift folder, configure plug in with server IP (computer running mp server) port, smb user/pass and it worksSmile