Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stub files for TV Shows?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I've added stub files for a bunch of movies. They work well. Art/thumbnail, names, etc show up. They show as recently added in Movies. Good!

I assumed you can do the same with TV Shows. So I built a stub share marked as TV Shows. Added 5 of them. Set content type to TV Show. It did go through and slightly change the names, like 'Heroes.dvd.disc', to 'Heroes (en)' while it was adding the info/pics/fanart, etc, but when it was done, NONE of the shows are listed, added as recent or anything. Going to the share shows the xxx.dvd.disc names, so they did not get added.

I read the xbmc manual/wiki, and I do not see tv shows listed as stubbable.

Can someone verify tv shows can have stubs? And why mine weren't working?
Yes, stub files should work for TV show episodes. You just need to organize these shows the same way as for TV shows where you have the media files available on your storage device: TV show folder named after the TV show and episode files within named with the season/episode numbers, but with a file extension of .disc to designate a stub (e.g., "Show title S01E01.disc") rather than .avi, .mkv, etc. for playable video files. As with stub files for a movie, your TV show episode stub file will need to contain the appropriate message to state which DVD needs to be inserted into the drive.

See this wiki article on TV show folder/file naming: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...s/TV_shows
See this wiki article on media stubs: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Media_stubs
Ok. But the tv shows should have successfully been added. Even without episodes, correct?

An example is:

Heroes.dvd.disc
No, TV shows will not be added without episodes. Look at the links above for how to deal with multiepisode discs. Alternatively, check the stub file wiki page on how to add a prompt to the disc insert message. I created a separate stub file for every episode in a series and then added a prompt to tell me which disc to insert.
You need "Heroes SxxExx.disc" episode files within a "Heroes" folder for the show.
(2013-03-06, 06:01)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]You need "Heroes SxxExx.disc" episode files within a "Heroes" folder for the show.

Oh, that explains it. Adding each episode is pretty tedious.

Since the majority of the dvd's a person has for a show would contain an entire SEASON, does anyone know of something that can take the name of a show and season (or all), and create the stub structure for it?

-edit- Ok, I did some testing....the following files/structure WORKs:

Code:
TV Shows
   Heroes
      Season 01
          s01e01.dvd.disc
          s01e02.dvd.disc
          s01e03.dvd.disc
          s01e99.dvd.disc

It actually looks up the episodes I've called out, namely season 1, eps 1-3, gets fanart, full episode title and stores it in the DB without needing to rewrite the filename. It even ignored the invalid episode file (s01e99) and didnt write it to the db. Based upon this, shouldn't doing a full season in the tv scraper be easy without having to write all the files manually?
Please look at the wiki page listed previously posted for multi episode files. You can createa single file for each disc if you simply name it correctly. You don't have to have a separate file for each episode if you don't want to.
Ok, i see the way to name them.

S01e01-02-03-04

And so forth. You can go past the end of episodes, so i go 01 through 45

Still need a folder and one file per season. You can have a folder past the last season, like a season 5 folder when the show ran 4 seasons and the 5th is ignored (correctly)

So I need to write a script that gets a name, looks up how many seasons there were of a show, and builds the appropriate file structure with .disc files.

Seem about right??