Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [SOLVED] Installation of XBMCbuntu "Frodo" 12.0 Intel-NVIDIA (freezes after boot)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have a completely new HTPC which I just built this morning. I followed the instructions for using Lili to generate a USB with "xbmcbuntu-12.00.Intel-NVIDIA.iso 29-Jan-2013 17:04 598M". I received no errors from Lili. I plugged the USB into the HTPC and selected USB from the boot menu. A purple screen came up with a keyboard and person, I pressed F6 while on that screen. I selected my language and "Install XBMCbuntu (Sandy Bridge)" from the menu, i3-2100, after a few seconds all that was on the screen was a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. After several minutes of no change I came here to search for installation tips and have been unlucky. Same instructions/tips found were the ones followed.

This is a completely fresh install, and my first ever XBMCbuntu installation. Is there a step I'm missing?

PCPartPicker part list / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 520 1GB Video Card
Case: Silverstone GD06B HTPC Case
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Welcome

My guess is video drivers which is wrong and probbaly not installed, also INtel you must disable rc6 in grub, see XBMC_for_Linux_specific_FAQ#Boot_issues (wiki)

uNi
There is no operating system at this point, so yea, no advanced video drivers. However, there is the standard video, nothing fancy and low res. Video is not really the issue.

How do I disable rc6 in grub if I have no operating system or command line? Do I need to try and hop into the "try XBMCbuntu" option?
Alright, I restarted and this time selected "Install XBMCbuntu", after the blinking cursor an XBMC logo came up with 4 dots below it that slowly changed from white to red and back again. After ~10min this screen was replaced by (finally) a command line with the following error.

"General Error mounting filesystems.
A maintenance shell will now be started."

I used the opportunity to attempt the suggest rc6 change, however that too resulted in error (kinda expected).

Photo of error
(2013-03-10, 23:29)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome

My guess is video drivers which is wrong and probbaly not installed,
are you saying that the nvidia drivers are not on the nvidia iso?
Quote: also INtel you must disable rc6 in grub, see XBMC_for_Linux_specific_FAQ#Boot_issues (wiki)

uNi
That is for Intel GPU's isn't it? He has nvidia GPU.
btw. I removed my seperate NVidia card form the system since even the pure Intel HD iGPU in the Celeron G530 is powerful enough to playback all media content up to blurays (yes, with linux and yes without installing any special drivers) .. with an additional gfx card I just got too much trouble especially with multiple sound cards (HDMI on NVidia vs. onboard sound ..) ..

Greetz

LastCoder
(2013-03-11, 04:08)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-10, 23:29)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome

My guess is video drivers which is wrong and probbaly not installed,
are you saying that the nvidia drivers are not on the nvidia iso?
Quote: also INtel you must disable rc6 in grub, see XBMC_for_Linux_specific_FAQ#Boot_issues (wiki)

uNi
That is for Intel GPU's isn't it? He has nvidia GPU.

He was installing things as if for Intel GPU (isnt that what you do when select sandy brigdge?) and the main gpu is Nvidia who knows what this does, maybe it was a bios setup or maybe install idk.
Nvidia drivers are in iso so hes got correct iso, its a question of intsalling it properly or managing to do so.

I dont have a machine to test this is with intel GPU so wouldnt know.

uNi
Alright, so here is an update.

Removed the NVidia card as suggested, and rebuilt the USB stick using the same iso. Installation screen finally appears. I install XBMC with the erase and install option (complete format of disc). When the installation completes I'm asked to restart, I do so. The first time it starts up with the XBMC logo and scrolling white dots, then the USB stick light comes back on and I'm back at the installation screen... Alright, I run through for shits and giggles one more time, same format and reinstall options. This time I'm quick and I get into the boot menu before it boots from the USB, select the 2TB drive I installed to and boot up from it. Everything looks fine, I'm getting the same XBMC logo, except then it just loads to a black screen with a mouse cursor in the middle and does nothing. I can't even move the cursor. It's like it has frozen, or that it stopped accepting input from my keyboard/mouse.

... annoyed ...
Take the usb stick out so it boots from the hard drive.
First time that was the issue, second time I removed the USB and purposefully selected the correct drive to boot from out of the boot menu. So it's not booting from the USB. I should also mention that the optical drive is empty as well, the only bootable source is the HDD.
the black screen/freeze on boot is probably the sandy bridge RC6 bug. The sandy bridge boot option on the live system disables it, but sadly this is not transferred over to the installed system.
What is the best way to get in and alter the specific file I need to resolve the RC6 bug? I'm a newb at this so full direction is probably best.

Would pressing F6 during the Purple screen and selecting the "install Ubuntu (Sandy Bridge)" work, or were you saying that it wouldn't work. I can give that a shot when I get home from work. We're making progress and that is the encouraging part, lol.
Right... see, I can't get to the console. So that doesn't really help...

If somebody could share how to stop the autoload and get me into console before I'm unceremoniously stuck at a black screen with an unmovable mouse cursor, that would be helpful, then I could change that file. I could even video tape the whole process so you know exactly what I'm talking about if that would be easier.
Update:

I attempted the F6-Purple screen installation option "Install Ubuntu (Sandy Bridge)", however this didn't result in any change in what happens upon boot. Still goes straight from XBMC load screen and then to the black screen with the immovable cursor.

I tried a number of button presses during the load screen to see if any of them knocked me out into the console before the GUI started. Esc took away the dummy screen and I was able to see the actual command lines running, but no real way to interact or pause (expected). Again after the unsuccessful random button pressing I ended up in the same spot as usual, stuck up black screen creek without a console.

If I put a virtual ubuntu environment on one of my other home computers is there an easy way to access the files on the HTPC's HDD and alter the RC6 file? I don't really see a way to do it while it is still in the HTPC.

Looking for direction and innovation in resolving this most annoying problem Smile
Pages: 1 2 3