Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [SOLVED] HD-Audio passthrough HD 4000
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi, i'm running a mac mini on ubuntu 12.10 and cannot get dts-hd or true-hd passthrough like i did when i bootcamped this mac mini with windoze 7

i had "other" issues with windows so here i at linux.

i think the answer to my problem lies here but unfortunately my knowledge of linux is challenged to say the least and i don't have the faintest idea how to apply patches to the kernel or alsa or anything at all really.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128298&page=45

i know that is an old thread about testing audio engine, but i believe that my answer still lies with the patches for linux itself.

any linux gurus out there or anyone who has got hd-audio working with intel hd4000 on linux care to share their secrets with me ?

google is not your friend when you don't have the filter of knowing what is crap and what is genuine advice.
Give OpenELEC 3.0 RC4 a try - should work out of the box.
openelec is not an option for me, i want a mysql server running 24/7 on this machine and some other stuff too.
what kernel are you using?

3.5.0.17-generic

i get from uname -r and uname - a says it #28
I have a feeling you need 3.7 to get hd audio on intel gpu.
the guys in the linux audioengine testing thread were doing it on earlier kernels than 3.7 , i've tried updating to 3.7 on here but due to some flaky broadcom driver support my ethernet doesn't work after kernel 3.5.0.25-generic

i'm incidentally on that now as i did some upgrades via the software centre, (remembered this time to put my ethernet driver on AFTER the updates, lol.

and from what i can gather the openelec guys aren't running 3.7 and they have intel working with hd-audio.

this is the second to last piece of the xbmc puzzle for me, the last one being lirc setup of my remote.

then it's on to tackle mythtv backend.

ps. i should add that updating to 3.7 didn't seem to fix the audio issues, of course i don't whether that would be different if i had a distro that was 3.7 or above to start with.

but i'm kind of getting settled with ubuntu.
its either a patched kernel <3.7 or stock >=3.7
in both cases the alsa config (cntindex) mod is needed additionally.
i just upgraded to 3.8 kernel and did the ctindex thing and yes hd audio passthrough is now working, unfortunately i can't get my ethernet card working with the same trick i used in earlier kernels but that's another story of my adventures with linux.

thank you very much for the info wsnipex.

ps , i'm not sure whether it's just sheer relief at getting this working or actuality but my music and music videos sound a whole better in linux.

marked solved, again thank you very much.
I had patched the broadcom ethernet driver for 3.7 - maybe it works on 3.8 too - have to dig up the patch these days when i remember it... apple has chosen a really linux unfriendly ethernet chip here sadly Sad
oh my, if you can sort that memphiz, that would be amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiinnnngggggggggg

yeah, it's either apples or broadcom's fault.
Found it - this is a patch against version 3.124c of the tg3 driver for compiling and running with kernel 3.7 (its a hack though...)

http://pastebin.com/ds4EB2W4
i shall give that a whirl shortly and let you know how i got on.

thank you very much indeed memphiz.
i've tried patching,

i downloaded a fresh copy of the tg3 driver from broadcom and unpacked it all.

then i copy pasted the pastebin into a file i called patch.txt and put it in a temp folder with makefiles.sh from the download.

then i ran patch -u makefiles.sh patch.txt

and it threw a load of hunk errors, am i putting this in the wrong place or using the wrong command ?
Pages: 1 2