Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Play single movie in folder directly.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the world of XBMC. So forgive me if I sound naive. I've been a user of various media players over the years and have finally given up on their crappy UI. Should have done this ages ago.

Anyway, I spent a good amount of time renaming all my image (poster) files for my movies to reflect the '-poster' at the end and it all works beautifully. I do not though, use the library feature. I maintain my own library on my iPad and based on what I wish to see, I pop that drive in and XBMC does the rest. [I know... there is a version for the iPad as well. But i'm too far along to consider switching that.] So for now, I wish to just stick to my own organising.

This is what my drive structure looks like...

Code:
Movies HD|1
    ↪ Aladdin (1992)
        ↳ Aladdin (1992).mkv
    ↪ The Bourne Trilogy (2002-2007)
        ↳ 01 The Bourne Identity (2002).mkv
        ↳ 02 The Bourne Supremacy (2004).mkv
        ↳ 03 The Bourne Ultimatum (2007).mkv
        ↳ 04 Extras
            ↳ 01 Extra 1.mkv
            ↳ 02 Extra 2.mkv
            ↳ ...and so on.
    ↪ The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
        ↳ The Shawshank Redemption (1994).mkv
    ↪ ...and so on.

I have all my films in their own folder. Nothing is without a folder. I manage my movie 'sets' manually. I've already done the work, and wish to continue this way. I am liking what I see. (Of course, ever folder has a 'folder.jpg' and a moviename-poster.jpg' too. I've just not listed it above.)

My only wish is... that if the folder has just 1 .mkv file in it, XBMC plays it directly! Instead of going inside and showing me that 1 file.

Example (ref: structure above): If I click on the Aladdin folder, it shows me the Aladdin file. I'd like it to just start playing 'Aladdin (1992).mkv' instead. I know that the logical way is to view the folder, but is there a tweak of some sort that I can put in place where it plays the 1 file in the directly (as long as it is just 1 file in it)? When I click on a folder with multiple files in it, like in the case of the Bourne Trilogy, it should still show me everything inside.

Possible?
Have you tried the context menu when the folder is highlighted? C on your keyboard.
Have you tried the library? Just wanted to say that you can use/have the file organisation and the library. One does not exclude the other. The library can use the images ect you already have. Just tell the program that Movies HD|1 is a source that contains movies.
(2013-03-12, 10:18)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried the context menu when the folder is highlighted? C on your keyboard.

nickr... Thanks. Yeah, I knew the C menu. But that's still 2 clicks. Would be nice if XBMC identified just the one file and played directly.

(2013-03-13, 01:36)MassIV Wrote: [ -> ]The library can use the images ect you already have. Just tell the program that Movies HD|1 is a source that contains movies.

MassIV... Really? I must be doing something wrong then. Cause that doesn't seem to work for me. Here's what I'm doing...

1 - Videos > Add Source > Browse > Select 'Movies HD|1' > OK
2 - Name the source Movies HD|1 > OK
3.1 - This directory contains > Movies
3.2 - Current Scrapper > The Movie Database
3.3 - Content Scanning Options
> Movies are in separate folders that match movie title...✓
> Scan recursively...✗
> Selected folder contains single video...✗
> Exclude path from library updates...✓

Again, I am not interested in XBMC scraping info for me off the web.
If you not interested in scrapping information, then the movies cannot be inside folders. Even in Filemode you only get the to play a movie which is inside a folder if that content is not scanned the beahiviour is to drill down until you find a file. That is if you dont want to click twice.

I have each movies inside it own folder and it works one click both in filemode and library however I have scrapped all my info.

uNi