Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: LCD/VFD-like screen on mobile device
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I searched for possible existing solutions e.g. with VNC but so far I failed to find a good one so I'm suggesting a new feature:

Possibility to use old mobile devices (phone, tablet, etc.) as a LCD/VFD-like screen displaying information on current XBMC status and allowing to control it (e.g. start music or radio playback) without turning on the TV. So, it could simulate cases like those:
ImageImage

I mean the PC can be hidden (exposing only IR sensor) and the mobile device used as a display to control the box. This way we could have cheap (you can re-use your old hardware) and nice looking control displays for our HTPCs using only additional software.
I think it should be possible over WiFi with VNC-like software or simply a specific web interface. In the latter option you would just open a full screen web browser on your mobile device to get a second status screen for your XBMC.

This web interface should be configurable (due to possible different resolution on different devices), responsive enough and follow the changes done on the main XMBC interface as it's not supposed to be a controller but just render current state and the control should be done still by the main IR remote (or any other controller, including other web interfaces). For that reason it should support pushing data from XBMC (e.g. with AJAX) instead pulling them after user's actions like typical web interface does.

What do you think?
Reddy
Works great with some of the web interface add-ons.
Isn't that what the XBMC remote apps are made for?
Well, I didn't mean a remote controlling app but an additional display showing currently chosen option, played song details, etc and when idle - weather information and clock which can be read from distance while standing below TV set.
well most of that a remote app shows you too (current status and stuff).
well everything needed for it is there. Someone needs to write an app for dshowing the stuff you want. Its out of xbmc's scope.
(2013-03-13, 00:14)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]well most of that a remote app shows you too (current status and stuff).

Those I saw are great for control but not quite as a distant display. But I'll dig deeper and check more, including web interfaces.

Actually a specific web interface may solve the case if it's responsive enough and follows the changes done on the main XMBC interface as it's not supposed to be a controller but just render current state and the control should be done still by the main IR remote (or any other controller, including other web interfaces).

(2013-03-13, 00:15)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]well everything needed for it is there. Someone needs to write an app for dshowing the stuff you want. Its out of xbmc's scope.

Shall we move the thread then to other section like "Python Add-on Development"?
Its not a python addon. You want an app for the "display" hardware you have if i got you right. An app which pulls the state from any running XBMC instance you want. Basically - like a remote app without controlling abilities.
Well, not really. I'd prefer something platform-independent so for example a configurable (due to possible different resolution on different devices) web interface (which I think must be build around AJAX as it would be pushed with information from XMBC instead reacting on user's actions) or VNC-compatible server streaming the view with status data.
then a webinterface (ajax? don't think this is needed nor supported by xbmc webserver).
First of all - thank you Memphiz for spending your time clarifying things to me!

(2013-03-14, 00:25)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]then a webinterface (ajax? don't think this is needed nor supported by xbmc webserver).

Hmm, so how to push updates to the client's browser when the user changed some selection in XBMC with his remote? Simple example would be switching between UI sections which should be reflected on this small screen.
I haven't checked yet but I believe that in current web interfaces it's the user who invokes actions on the web interface so it can pull the update from XBMC, but with an interface working only as a second screen it would have to be updated automatically.

BTW, is there any place for discussion on web interfaces then?

(2013-03-14, 01:54)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]check out http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Yatse_2 and http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Maraschino

Thanks!
I've already reviewed Maraschino (well, the screenshots) and it seems to be targeted for high-resolution displays, I mean there's definitely too much information for small screen to be read from the distance.

Yatse 2, however, looks really promising. Thanks!

Edit:
Heh, Yatse 2 seems to be available for Windows only and none of the components I use run Windows Sad
I'm not into html javascript stuff (maybe ajax is supported - i have no clue tbh). I would try it here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=156
Is there any way to move the thread or shall we simply close this one and start another one there?
which forum do you want it moved to?
Pages: 1 2