Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best tool(s) for dealing with missing movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[I know that this is a common query but I did search on this topic before posting this thread Smile]

Like many others, I am plagued by missing media in my library. The problem is that I have many movies (as do we all) and I know that around 200-300 aren't showing up in XBMC. This is far too many to manually sift through and rename so I was wondering whether others had found an optimal solution to this task?

It looks like one has two ways to deal with missing movies:

1) Use the 'Missing Movie Search" plugin to identify which files haven't been added to your library. Link: http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-missing-movie-search/
2) Use a media manager to correctly rename files. List of options: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Cat...y_managers

As I mentioned above, if I use the missing movie plugin, it identifies 200-300 missing movies in a simple list output. That's useful but not THAT useful as I now have to manually go through my folders and match specific movies to my list so that I can rename them appropriately.

Alternatively, armed with my list of missing movies, I could use a media manager and manually go through and rename in this way.

I was wondering if there was a way for me to quickly separate out and rename ONLY the files identified as missing with the plugin in Step 1?

Any ideas? I've tried renamers (FileBot, TV Renamer, etc.) and media managers (Ember, etc.) but they all make the task unnecessarily difficult. I'm currently installing Media Center Master which looks like it has a slightly more intelligent interface so I hope that this does the trick.

Thanks Smile
FileBot works great. Just only drop in the files/folders you wanna get done. If you only have a text file with paths just write a script that'll call filebot -rename for each line.
Thanks but... I have no experience with scripting.

Any suggestions on the best way to get started? Apps? Tutorials?

I see that FileBot has a command line feature. Wonder if I will find the info I need on using it effectively. Guess I'll have to take a look...

Thanks Smile
How about I just give you the solution. It's less typing than writing a tutorial. Wink

Script:
Code:
args*.eachLine{
    rename(file:it)
}

Cmdline Usage (inline syntax):
Code:
filebot -script "g:args*.eachLine{rename(file:it)}" -non-strict paths.txt

Where as paths.txt contains absolute paths to files, e.g.:
Code:
D:\Avatar.avi

Output:
Code:
Filename pattern: [0,00] SxE, [0,00] CWS
Rename movies using [TheMovieDB]
Looking up movie by filehash via [TheMovieDB]
TheMovieDB: Hash lookup not supported
Auto-detect movie from context: [D:\Avatar.avi]
[MOVE] Rename [D:\Avatar.avi] to [Avatar (2009).avi]
Processed 1 files

PS: The next release of FileBot will also allow you to drop text files with paths into the the "Original Files" list.
You're a legend rednaoh42. Thanks Smile

Buuuuuuut... assume I'm a total noob here please. I don't quite understand how the various Code boxes above play together. Which parts go into the script (I take it the third Code box about the paths is just an FYI).

To illustrate just how severe my lack of understanding is, here are some hopelessly naive questions:
- How do I create the script? Is it just a text file that I'm creating somewhere? Am I doing it in the FileBot interface somewhere?
- Which Code boxes actually go into the script? Just the first one?
- If so, I take it that once I've created the script file, I run FileBot from the command line and enter the above arguments as laid out in the second Code box?
- I'll export the Missing Files Search addon output to paths.txt (that seems simple enough... in theory Tongue)

Thanks
I do not know filebot but reading rednoah42's instructions I think this will work:

1) Create the paths.txt file and save it to the same folder where filebot is
2) Open a file explorer window (pressing Win+E, for example) and navigate to the folder where filebot is
3) Click in the address bar of the file explorer window, type "cmd" and press Enter
(that will open a command line window in the folder where filebot is)
4) Type this in the command line window and press Enter:

filebot -script "g:args*.eachLine{rename(file:it)}" -non-strict paths.txt

If you cannot save paths.txt to the folder where filebot is (maybe there is a permissions problem), simply save it to any other path, for example C:\MyFiles\ and incorporate it to the command line:

filebot -script "g:args*.eachLine{rename(file:it)}" -non-strict C:\MyFiles\paths.txt
@pko66 Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll give this a try when I have some time Smile