Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Discussion of Changes to the skinning engine for XBMC Gotham
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2012-10-11, 01:56)ronie Wrote: [ -> ][...]
The Get Thumb (id 10) and Get Fanart (id 12) buttons in DialogVideoInfo.xml should be replaced with a single button (id 10) that has the label 13511 (Choose Art).
Is there any chance of making this behavior optional for the next release?
I don't like being slapped with modals left and right. They usually mean more clicks than necessary and also can be very distracting.
(2013-03-11, 18:58)toolpunk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-11, 01:56)ronie Wrote: [ -> ][...]
The Get Thumb (id 10) and Get Fanart (id 12) buttons in DialogVideoInfo.xml should be replaced with a single button (id 10) that has the label 13511 (Choose Art).
Is there any chance of making this behavior optional for the next release?
I don't like being slapped with modals left and right. They usually mean more clicks than necessary and also can be very distracting.

How else are you going to get all the new artwork?
Either through dedicated buttons or not at all. Or maybe I would even provide quick access buttons for fanart and thumbs and let the user choose the rest via a modal.

This is ultimately a feature that the skinner could control. Right now however, I am forced to use the new method, which has no benefits and means more clicks in my case.
since i hate all those "edit blabla" buttons in dialogvideoinfo (it´s an info dialog, not some configuration dialog), i would go even further and move all buttons which are related to editing database info into one dialog (--> dialogselect or whatever).
that list could contain...

- refresh movie with local info (-->.nfo etc)
- refresh movie with online info ( --> default scraper)
[- refresh movie with installed scraper x]
[- refresh movie with installed scraper y]
- change thumb
- change fanart
- change artworktype xxx

and perhaps also "edit title" and some more from context menu.
that would reduce the number of needed buttons in dialogvideoinfo to 1.
the number of clicks for refreshing a movie also wouldnt really increase since you also have to answer a yesno dialog in the current implementation.
the additional scrapers in that list would be a nice feature addition since tryin out a different scraper for specific movies is really complicated at the moment.
The current implementation already means an additional click compared to Eden.
Where in Eden I could navigate to change thumb and then choose a thumb, I now go to change art, select thumb from the list that pops up and then choose my thumb.
This certainly doesn't break XBMC, it's just an inconvenience I stumbled across and would like to avoid.
To be clear, I'm not speaking of a revert, but of providing some sort of backwards compatibility, so the skinner can choose wether he wants multiple buttons or just one.
(2013-03-16, 03:06)toolpunk Wrote: [ -> ]Either through dedicated buttons or not at all. Or maybe I would even provide quick access buttons for fanart and thumbs and let the user choose the rest via a modal.

This is ultimately a feature that the skinner could control. Right now however, I am forced to use the new method, which has no benefits and means more clicks in my case.

You can of course add separate buttons if you so wish using the Artwork Downloder but would you really want too?

Get Poster / Get Fanart / Get Banner / Get Logo / Get Landscape / Get Clearart / Get Characterart / etc
I split up the thread to keep the changes thread compact and to the point.
Continue discussions here
@Hitcher
Yes, I would since my skin only uses thumbs and fanart.
There is no support for other image types, so I would rather not force the user to click through another screen.
Artwork Downloader is a script, isn't it?
I'd go with phil65 on this one. Move as much as possible to dialog select.
Let XBMC fill a scrollable list, plenty of space that way to also move some context menu stuff to there like:

Link to TV Show
Remove from library
Edit title

Give every option a <label2> some optional function description?
Default Icon for options?
(2013-03-16, 17:15)MassIV Wrote: [ -> ]I'd go with phil65 on this one. Move as much as possible to dialog select.
Let XBMC fill a scrollable list, plenty of space that way to also move some context menu stuff to there like:

Link to TV Show
Remove from library
Edit title

Give every option a <label2> some optional function description?
Default Icon for options?

Sounds very similar to what Martijn described in http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154474 (just that he mainly mentioned the context menu there but the same would apply to the info dialog).
Indeed Smile
Yeah. And reading that thread i now also agree with topfs2 about moving "update library" out.
That might help make it more clear that "scan for new content" is for the selected item only.
Opening the sideblade to update library is not considerably harder.

Maybe change the name of "scan for new content" to "update item" to have a naming convention more similar to "update library".
'Scan for new content' is better as 'Update item' implies everything will be updated.