Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Tablets & Profiles -- Having Completely Separate Profiles for Home #1 & Home #2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Where I live (home #1), I have a central library managed by MySQL. My family members have tablets that access the library thanks to an advancedsettings.xml file in the userdata folder on each tablet. I manage the library from a workstation. I want only the media of the home library available/visible when the tablets are at home. Hence there will be a home profile.

I want to setup a fileserver at the cabin (home #2) using a Seagate Satellite. I won't have a MySQL server at the cabin, but all of the content will be served by the Satellite (which is a combination hard drive, fileserver and WiFi access point). I want only the Satellite's content available when the tablets are at the cabin. Hence there will be a cabin profile.

Question: Do you do all this with just two profiles (where one of them is the Master profile) or do you do this with three profiles (Master to manage everything, home to use at home and cabin to use at the cabin)?
Why not let the cabin profile manage itself?
(2013-03-17, 20:50)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]Why not let the cabin profile manage itself?

Well, that's exactly my question. It's my assumption that the Master profile must be able to see all sources, but that assumption may be wrong. IF the Master profile must be able to see all sources, then I guess I will need a separate Home profile (because when at home, I want the tablet only to show content from my MySQL central library) and Cabin profile (because when at the cabin, I want the tablet only to show the content on the Seagate Satellite).

@ Home -- see only MySQL library
@ Cabin -- see only Seagate Satellite

If the Master profile can see all of the sources for purposes of management, but show the user only part, then that would work. Otherwise, I need three profiles (Master, Home and Cabin).
Master profile must be a profile that doesn't connect to MySQL, because master will try to connect to MySQL at startup, even if you set the login window to be displayed.

So you would have to have #1 Cabin, #2 Home

or go with three and have master profile just be "totally portable profile".