Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Installed XBMCbuntu - A couple of issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

Really enjoying using XBMC - got the Windows version running on my main PC and it's great! I figured that I could use my old laptop which had been gathering dust as a media centre/server/top box for the living room TV.

I've booted up into XBMCbuntu, installed it, connected to my Wi-Fi etc - I am posting right now from the XBMCbuntu browser so hopefully that means I haven't done anything too wrong yet! Tongue

I'm fairly good with computers but I'm a complete Linux noob so if possible I'd like the replies to be as step-by-step detailed as possible.

1) I can connect to the internet on the desktop part (here right now) and stream files from other computers on the network, but XBMC seemingly won't connect to the internet. It doesn't bring up any available Add-ons or artworks etc.

2) Can I install other software in XBMCbuntu? I'd like to be able to use an Android based remote mouse/keyboard package such as RemoteDroid as well as the XBMC remote app.

Thanks in advance, and great work on XBMC, it's badass!
Never mind - solved both problems with a bit of reading and tinkering. I installed Synaptic to get other packages, then installed the Gnome package and then the network parts of XBMC worked.

I'm unsure if that was a solution or a coincidence but, as the saying goes, all's well that ends well!
Hey there

I'm running xbmcbuntu too. I was just wondering is there a way to setup xbmcbuntu to automatically download the latest tv shows?

thanks
(2013-03-21, 00:52)Isulaiman Wrote: [ -> ]I'm running xbmcbuntu too. I was just wondering is there a way to setup xbmcbuntu to automatically download the latest tv shows?

There are some add-ons (e.g., PBS, Hulu, FreeCable, HGTV, DIY, Food Network) that let you stream a limited set of programs from the content providers' sites. Basically, it's the same programs you can access via a web browser while on that provider's website. If you use subscription services, such as AmazonPrime or HuluPlus, there are add-ons that allow you to watch this content as well.

If you are referring to the downloading of pirated content, we don't support that here nor is discussion about how to acquire such content permitted.
I'm mightily impressed with XBMC, absolutely fantastic piece of software - got the Aeon Nox skin and customized it to my liking with a few addons, I just can't get over how good it is!

I've just had an issue crop up though regarding the XBMC Remote app for Android - I have it running perfectly with my Windows PC and one of my housemates who I introduced to the program has also set it up fine on Windows. However, on my laptop with XBMCbuntu, I can't get it to work.

I have tried the same steps as I used on my PC to no avail, and googled around to try and find help but I've come up empty so far. The following message pops up when trying to connect:

"Socket Timeout

Make sure XBMC webserver is enabled and XBMC is running."

I have

Any help appreciated - this is a vital component of my home media centre plan! Smile

EDIT - Forget it, solved the "problem". I made a stupid mistake and didn't press the "Switch XBMC" button to select the other device. Mega facepalm!
1. did you make sure the webserver actually running? User, pass, port correct?
2. did you update to the newest version of the remote app?
older versions did still use http api, which has been removed from frodo.
(2013-03-21, 03:45)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]1. did you make sure the webserver actually running? User, pass, port correct?
2. did you update to the newest version of the remote app?
older versions did still use http api, which has been removed from frodo.
Thanks for your reply,

I just edited my post having solved the problem, it was just me being a numpty!

This thread can be closed now - all related issues are now sorted Smile.
(2013-03-21, 03:41)rob92 Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT - Forget it, solved the "problem". I made a stupid mistake and didn't press the "Switch XBMC" button to select the other device. Mega facepalm!
Don't feel bad, I've done the same thing myself! Wink