Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: This must be THE most basic question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have searched the forum and internet for 4 days now to find the answer to what must be the basic of all questions but have been unable to find the answer.

The question quite simply is:

"How do I get XBMC to appear on my TV as it does on my computer"?

1. I have downloaded and am running 12.1 on my pc.
2. The library is up and running and visible (on my pc)
3. I have set Upnp
4. My pc is connected (via ethernet cable) to a router which in turn is hard wired to a Samsung Blu Ray (DLNA).
5. I also have the option of connecting via ethernet to my Samsung TV.
6. Using either of the above connections I can see all my media files on my TV but they are only visible if I use Allshare or one of the DLNA devices/servers. The XBMC GUi does not show up on the TV and I cannot see anyway to access it.

I would like to be able to get the XBMC GUi interface on my TV and use a remote to control it (via a tablet preferably)

I don't consider myself 'slow' on these things (I have built a number of pc's) but this has eluded me completely. I know it can't be that difficult, but why can't I find a simple explaination SOMEWHERE on the web that explains it in plain language?

Please, please help............. I'm close to dumping XBMC out of shear frustration.
If you want the GUI you have to connect the PC that XBMC is running on to your TV via a video cable, preferably HDMI. You have to connect it the same way as the blu-ray player is connected.
Sorry if I got you wrong , so you want to run the XBMC Gui on your TV? Without any sort of hdmi/video connection?
Thanks guys. I was afraid you would say that. It is the only thing that makes sense. Problem is, my TV is about 10m (39ft) away from the PC in a different room.

Oh well, at least now I know.
(2013-03-20, 23:36)pdoth Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys. I was afraid you would say that. It is the only thing that makes sense. Problem is, my TV is about 10m (39ft) away from the PC in a different room.

Oh well, at least now I know.

There are wireless hdmi senders on the market but they are pretty expensive iirc £70-£200. You might be better investing in a dedicated box for the room with your tv, rasp pi, android box or a nettop.
Highly recommend a cheap set top box, like the Pivos XIOS, that runs XBMC.
Yeah for god's sake buy a media pc and attach it to the back of the TV, no one except your bank manager will know it's there. Even he won't care, they are cheap enough.
There are a number of tiny PC's you can use for this. I have bought an Intel NUC but there are cheaper solutions as well. Combined with a Flirc I can use any obsolete remote to control that PC.
These pc's are small enough so you wont notice them.
And designed to be very quiet.
I had a DVI to HDMI converter with 15m HDMI cable for a while on one tv. Worked just fine.
40ft of HDMI cable will run you about $33 from Monoprice - product ID # 3964
Great info guys. Most appriciated. Think I'll go the "dedicated box" route with a droid remote.

Great forum................