Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Buffering issues since 12.0, even with local files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

my HTPC is based on an Athlon 4850E dualcore processor under Win7 x64, and a Radeon 5670HD graphics card, this system is not a rocket, but it is smooth and capable of playing back all kind of media without any trouble, normally at least.

Well, since I switched my setup from XBMC 11.0 to 12.0, I suddenly have a lot of buffering issues. My network is gigabit, and I get around 100MByte/s in real-life benchmarks, and buffering occurs with local files sometimes also: the video stopps, and XBMC displays a buffering progress bar. It even happens with very small files like SD-mkv files, and most recently it happened even with Music (FLAC-files), no buffering bar there, but the sound stopping for some seconds and then continuing.

I already tried to analyze the log files, but find no entry at that specific timestamps.

The rest is totally smooth, and I love XBMC, but these buffering issues drive me crazy. Happens around one or two times per hour, sometimes more often, sometimes not so often. I have already checked for other processes running, but there is nothing in the background, not even an antivirus software or anything similar Sad

Any ideas? Thanks a lot.
You might want verify your Frodo audio output configs carefully, and here are some tips- Simplify XBMC configurations......
I have tried so many different aaduio configs, all via HDMI of my ATI card of course, but WASAPI, Direct Sound, and all cause the buffering issue. I have also googled a lot and found so many people having similar problems, but no real solution to thi sissue Sad

Are there any devs working on that? Any special debug builds available to collect more information?
Hi Guys,
This has been happening with myself as well. Although it started with coming up with the buffering and now the video stops and goes back to either the TV or movie screen. I don't use my Xbmc for music so I can't say whether or not this would happen on my setup. I haven't changed anything and it was working excellently for a few weeks. Then the bufferring issue started. Then on Friday last, my remote (android through two phones and a tablet) couldn't connect. Then the video stopping issue started. I still haven't been able to connect my remote.

My setup:
Intel NUC DC32171YE
Belkin Wireless dual band extender Access Point
NDGN3700v1 wireless/router
Nas4Free Nas box
Samsung HT receiver
XBMC Frodo v12.1 (after the issue happened on 12.0 I upgraded yesterday)
Windows 7

I have the Nas4Free box ethernet to the netgear which streams to the Belkin AP which is wired in to the NUC. Both with static IP addresses. I also congifured my bitstreaming to the instructions above originally.

Issues in sequence:
1. buffering started (even down to 420 res)
2. remote stopped connecting - two errors, one can't connect to remote server, the other is the socket time out error
3. video while playback would stop and return to the menu/selection screen randomly. The time could be a minute or 10. Once or twice it also crashed XBMC.

I have updated the bios in the NUC to the latest as well as the LAN drivers. Also TPG have said that there's a problem with the ADSL2 line so recently I have done an isolation test. That really only involved unplugging and rebooting the nuc. I have also rebooted the router and the modem.

I'm not quite sure what else to look at. whether it is a network, xbmc or hardware issue. My debug log is pasted here: http://pastebin.com/N8T4i7y7

Is anyone able to give me some ideas on what my next troubleshooting move should be.

I forgot I'm also using Aeon Nox skin.
I've think i've found my issue. It was a network issue with conflicting ip addresses. However I am getting the buffering issue still, even after setting the bios do dvmt maximum. (as per this thread - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=110128&page=4). I'm starting to think it's my router/network rather than anything else.
(2013-03-23, 17:15)Jackie78 Wrote: [ -> ]I have tried so many different aaduio configs, all via HDMI of my ATI card of course, but WASAPI, Direct Sound, and all cause the buffering issue. I have also googled a lot and found so many people having similar problems, but no real solution to thi sissue Sad

Are there any devs working on that? Any special debug builds available to collect more information?
How are you connecting your HTPC to HDTV? Is there an AVR in between?

(2013-03-25, 11:59)nnank76 Wrote: [ -> ]I've think i've found my issue. It was a network issue with conflicting ip addresses. However I am getting the buffering issue still, even after setting the bios do dvmt maximum. (as per this thread - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=110128&page=4). I'm starting to think it's my router/network rather than anything else.
If you think that it is related to network, you can try this "post #10".....
Thanks bluray.
I think the video cutting out and the remote not connecting was a network thing. So I've solved that. I was testing a 1080p vid and the buffering came up again.

I'll have a go at switching it to NFS as I have XBMC pointed to a mapped network drive at the moment. If it's still happening I'll try SMB. Then switching from home group to work group. I'm hoping I won't have to muck around with the regedit as I'm not that confident.

PS thanks a load for your instructions on setting up bitstreaming. I followed them to a tee and had my surround sound working in no time.
(2013-03-26, 05:18)bluray Wrote: [ -> ][quote='Jackie78' pid='1375317' dateline='1364051743']
I have tried so many different aaduio configs, all via HDMI of my ATI card of course, but WASAPI, Direct Sound, and all cause the buffering issue. I have also googled a lot and found so many people having similar problems, but no real solution to thi sissue Sad

How are you connecting your HTPC to HDTV? Is there an AVR in between?

Yes, I have a Denon AVR 1912 connected, everything is connected to my Radeon 5670 HD via HDMI.
How could that influence the issues I experience?
FYI - switched to SMB rather than the mapped network drive and no more buffering.

In total for anyone searching this problem my steps to fix it were:
1. solved the ip config issue (my fault)
2. installed Frodo 12.1
3. increased the memory in bios settings
4. pointed xbmc to SMB rather than the mapped network drive
5. rebooted

After everything worked again perfectly.
(2013-03-26, 22:04)Jackie78 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I have a Denon AVR 1912 connected, everything is connected to my Radeon 5670 HD via HDMI.
How could that influence the issues I experience?
Well wrong settings in the audio side of thing can cause a lot of issues. Since you are using a discrete GPU, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with shared memory either. Try these below-

1. If you have CEC enable in AVR, you can disable it for now.
2. A lot of users with older Radeon cards seems to have a lot of issues with the latest AMD driver. You can try the older AMD 12.1 driver instead.
3. Can you make sure that Frodo audio output is identical to the screenshot below? (Your audio output should be Denon/AMD instead of Onkyo/Nvidia)
4. If you haven't done it, you can try to map both local/network files using SMB instead.

If all else fail, you can give the latest 12.1 a try.....