Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Advanced WOL with airport extreme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have advanced WOL installed & it can see my airport extreme all well and good, the MAC address & ip address are showing as ok as well and it shows that it is waking up the airport extreme which is actually doing nothing.

What I really want it to do is to wake up the connected usb hard drive, I've tried entering 10.0.1.1 and that doesn't do anything (as above), I've tried 10.0.1.1/(drive name) & it says can't find the host.

am I missing something or is there some code I need to enter?

as always, help is very much appreciated

JT
Airport Extreme doesn't sleep. The USB hard drive might spin down, but that is different than sleeping, so a wake packet doesn't do anything.
(2013-03-24, 16:28)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Airport Extreme doesn't sleep. The USB hard drive might spin down, but that is different than sleeping, so a wake packet doesn't do anything.

exactly, so how do you wake up the usb hard drive? or isn't it possible?
Seems to depend on the USB enclosure's firmware settings more than anything. I've had media files on a USB hard drive + AirPort Extreme, and the HDD even spun down, but spun up fast enough for XBMC to not time out. At the same time, I've heard of some USB enclosures taking much longer to spin up and having very "aggressive" energy saving features.
yeh I've got one of the "aggressive" ones. at the moment, I have a dummy folder that I link to in favourites then wait for it for it to wake up, takes 10 seconds & is annoying but it does the job. guess I need to start looking at NAS...