Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Clean Library doesn't clean stale thumbnails
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, fairly new user here so please be patient if I'm doing something daft. I'm trying to get XBMC to delete historical incorrect Album Art thumbnails on an unused path after I've corrected them.

The first steps are fairly typical where you realise that the embedded artwork needs to be changed:

1) Scan FLAC or MP3 file in location \media\Album\track.flac but with incorrect embedded Album Art
2) View track with incorrect artwork
3) Embed new artwork in image \media\Album\track.flac
4) Re-scan \media\Album\track.flac to library
5) View track still with old incorrect artwork (I understand that it is not replaced in XBMC cache)

So then I move the folder to a renamed or different location and re-scan:

6) Move Album to \media\Album\temp\track.flac
7) Re-scan \media\Album\temp\track.flac to library
8) View track with new artwork (it created a new cache entry because the path hash is now different)

I now clean the library to hopefully get rid of the original thumbnail so that I can return the file to the original position:

9) Clean Library to get rid of stale cached thumbnail for old unused path
10) Move Album back to original old location \media\Album\track.flac
11) Re-scan \media\Album\track.flac to library
12) View track still with old incorrect artwork - But I expected it would have been deleted from XBMC cache now?

I'm using XBMC 12.0 Git:ae08a23 with AEON NOX Skin

I realise that I can just re-scrape my entire music collection but this takes about 10 hours now, and invariably you spot another artwork that needs to change shortly after. The workaround is I guess to keep moving files to new paths, remembering not to use the original paths again but this is a bit messy.

Is there a context option somewhere that allows you to clear / refresh cached embedded MP3 or FLAC artwork that I've missed? Should the "Clean Library" option be removing the old unused files if the path is no longer referenced?

Thanks in advance.
This happens only with embedded art. All other art will be automatically detected and updated without you doing anything. What could be done to fix it for embedded art is to change the hash to the hash of the music file. A patch would be most welcome.
Try this script.

At the very least you will be able to delete the image from your texture cache by searching for it (s option), then deleting the row (and associated file) with the d option. Or you could use the option "C songs <song-name>" which will delete all cached artwork related to the song, and then attempt to re-cache/re-load each item. However, as embedded artwork isn't always downloadable, the script may not be able to successfully re-cache the embedded images so you'll need to browse around in the GUI until the images appear, but non-embedded artwork should re-cache without too many problems.