Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Need XBMC recommendation for disabled senior
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to build a simple XBMC server for my dad who is in a rest home. I'm willing to pay for good hardware (and even pay for someone to help me get this set-up), but the goal is to create a stable, simple to use movie player.

In general, I'm more interested to get standard hardware and packages without a lot of trial and error. I'm technical and love that process, but I'd rather pay money to solve the problem and get my dad his movies faster than if I'd hack something together myself.

My requirements:
  • Hardware - Willing to pay for high performing, stable server.
  • Media - I really only want to play movies and maybe some tv shows. A bonus would be to show family photos, videos. No streaming music, apps, etc.
  • Remote administration - I'd like to be able to remotely access the server and upload/change media or change configuration.
  • Interface - Simple, simple, simple. Very few options. No menu levels or scrolling. Maybe a simple list of movies or something that I could change up for him.
  • Remote - Basic, single purpose remote. No logitech universal or smart phone remotes. Maybe an IR blaster to also turn the tv on/off.

Any ideas of suggestions are welcome.
For something like this I would suggest plex server/client. Its alot simpler to maintain and install plus navigate for seniors IMO.
If it were not for the remote administration part, I would say set up a OpenELEC box with something like a Foxconn NT-A3500. Install on an SD card and use a hard drive for media storage. I'm not sure if there is some type of addon that would allow you to update the media remotely, but you might find some way to add an FTP server.. Alternatively, you could set up an FTP server of your own with all the media, and have the remote client sync with it on some scheduled basis.

OF course, anything you administer remotely would have to be on all the time, so you might want something pretty quiet.
(2013-03-26, 19:21)rflores2323 Wrote: [ -> ]For something like this I would suggest plex server/client. Its alot simpler to maintain and install plus navigate for seniors IMO.

I've got plex running at home, which I really like, but even that has too many options. He's in a memory care facility and has terrible short term memory so learning a new interface would be difficult. Because XBMC is supposed to be more customizable, I was hoping to show a single page with list of movies. Or maybe a home page that shows two options. "Movies" and "Pics of Grandkids".

I appreciate the quick replies. I really appreciate it.
(2013-03-26, 19:38)whitebelly Wrote: [ -> ]If it were not for the remote administration part, I would say set up a OpenELEC box with something like a Foxconn NT-A3500. Install on an SD card and use a hard drive for media storage. I'm not sure if there is some type of addon that would allow you to update the media remotely, but you might find some way to add an FTP server.. Alternatively, you could set up an FTP server of your own with all the media, and have the remote client sync with it on some scheduled basis.

OF course, anything you administer remotely would have to be on all the time, so you might want something pretty quiet.

Thanks for the tip on OpenELEC. Getting my geek juices going. No remote control, but I could definitely see a pull from another FTP source or a public DropBox.
deleted
Openelec running off of a memcard or usb stick. Get a nice big international hdd. Install sabsuite from openelec repo. Fwd the ports and password protect if possible. There you go full remote access and administration. You can also install marachino and play media for him if you like.

All if you can open ports of course.

If not sickbeard and couch potato should be fine.

Edit. The x69 qnap models have xbmc on them. You can run all the above mentioned apps on there and use xbmc as the front end since they have hdmi now. I believe xbmc still may be iffy on them though.

Why not get a pivios and 2 external hdd that you can swap while you are visiting him?
Hi curtis_olson

I came across this tread because I'm trying to construct something similar for my parents and was searching for info.
You might want to take a look at guide-to-simplifying-xbmc-even-for-non-geeks.
Also, I'd think it may be crucial to select some hardware that supports hdmi-cec so that xbmc-box should be able to control the television.

Would be pleased to know if you made any progress.
(2013-04-29, 00:15)bowmore Wrote: [ -> ]Hi curtis_olson

I came across this tread because I'm trying to construct something similar for my parents and was searching for info.
You might want to take a look at guide-to-simplifying-xbmc-even-for-non-geeks.
Also, I'd think it may be crucial to select some hardware that supports hdmi-cec so that xbmc-box should be able to control the television.

Would be pleased to know if you made any progress.

Horrible link to a spam site that just ripped off the article from lifehacker (see: http://lifehacker.com/5908682/how-to-mak...-non+geeks )
I would suggest you have a look at some remote desktop application. Like teamviewer or something that has file transfer, allows you to see his screen and take over his mouse. With a permanent id you can take it over whenever you want without him doing anything.

And if you install a skin that allows you to customize the home screen, you can just only leave movies and pictures as options there.
Then pick the viewtypes you want (list or posters or thumbs) and lock them (called kiosk mode).
Even put a pin code on the general settings or make that a special keyboard shortcut.
Hi Ned Scott,
Thanks for notifying about the bad link. Edited my former post to point to the original article by Whitson Gordon.