Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Upconverting .vob like an external player
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, I'm new to this world but for the past 3 weeks I have been scouring this forum for answers to the many questions I have come across while setting up XMBC. To everyone, thanks for the help.

My HTPC system is a dedicated Win7 x64 Home, 8Gb, AMD A6-3600, ASRock A75-ITX, Samsung 64Gb SSD, yada, yada. Using XMBC 12 and all my movie files are .vob's, each movie in a separate directory.

I have two questions I have not been to find SUFFICIENT answers for so here I am. My 2nd question will posted separately so I don't muddy the waters.

Is it possible to have XMBC upconvert my movies similar to what my external DVD player does? The XMBC rendering seems less sharp than playing a disc from my player?

Thanks for any assistance.
XBMC scales up any SD signal automatically. There's various resizing routines that you can specify. The Lanczos routines are generally pretty good. See the settings in the Video OSD while playing a video.

Cheers,
Jonathan
I played around with the video options and only have one option for scaling: DXVA. I set Deinterlace to 'on' and deinterlace method to 'DXVA Best' which seems to be best, but not really much of an improvement.

I had seen, and believe I set, Lanczos before but I can't find where I saw it now so I'm not sure if it's still set. Where the heck do I find it?

Thanks.
It's possibly only available with software decoding (i.e. disable DXVA2) This will ofcourse use up CPU like it's going out of fashion on HD material, though with SD material you won't have a problem.
I switched from hardware (DXVA2) to software and that seemed to be very slightly better. I still haven't found where you specify Lanczos though. Give me a hint...other than "...the settings in the Video OSD while playing a video." because I didn't find anything there with an option for Lanczos. Huh

As always, thanks for your help.
Play a video, press "m" or Enter on keyboard or move mouse cursor to bring up video OSD. Select the icon on the bottom-right that looks like a film reel to display "Video - Settings" menu.