Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Where should I put the date for files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am reorganizing my movie library and since some movies are remakes with the same name, i am adding dates to all of them. Now i did one batch where I added it to the folder.

Example Folder then file

Leon the professional (1994)------>Leon The professional.mkv

Is the date in the folder useless? Will xbmc just look to the mkv file for information for scrapping? Is this correct? If not where should the date be placed in the file name?

Thank you in advance.
Exactly like I have mine, and find it fairly useful with remakes etc., I wouldn't say having the date added to the file is useless... Sometimes release dates on one scraper database is plus or minus a year, depending on the time of release in various countries and the scraper will mark it accordingly, or in rare circumstances not even recognize it until you manually pull the date. Having the file dated too, can help organization.. e.g. Oscar winners sort by date can turn up two winners for the same year... the internal file date might give a clue.

If you use theRenamer it will automatically add as "name (date)" file and folder with makes it pretty easy for the XBMC to scrape.
Thanks for the response, so should i be adding the date to the file as well? Or is it good enough to have it in the folder only?