Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Maintain Wasapi instead of Direct Sound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Running 12.1 I want my XBMC to always use Wasapi instead of Direct sound for audio output and passhrough, I know how to change it in the settings but it constantly changes back by itself, is there a way to keep it on Wasapi or delete Direct sound?
Turn on your receiver first. If you are using HDMI and XBMC can't find the last-used audio device when booting it will default to DirectSound.
I have the same problem, I never turn my receiver off and Wasapi is turning off automatically when I am not using the computer for a while and then I can't get HDMI connection back without restarting the computer?

Is there a solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Steve
Unfortunately DirectSound became the default API some time ago Sad
(2013-07-07, 00:15)DDDamian Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately DirectSound became the default API some time ago Sad

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Sorry but what does API mean?

I have an AMD HD 7700 graphics card connected to my Denon 1912 receiver and I thought that I had to use WASAPI for the best sound quality?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Steve
API just means the Application Programming Interface - but that's an aside. The issue is your AMD 7700 losing the HDMI handshake to your receiver, most likely when Windows enters one of its power-savings modes. If it loses the handshake XBMC will default to DirectSound nowadays,

I also use AMD (a 6450 and a 7450) and Denon (a 3808 and a 3806) and I don't lose the audio device when Windows hibernates, even with the receiver powered down. Check in your AMD control panel (Catalyst) for power-savings options and see if you can prevent the device from shutting down when idle. Also check your Windows power-savings settings via the Control Panel.
Ok, thanks. I will try your suggestion when I am back from work and will keep you posted.
ok, I can't find any power savings options in the latest AMD control panel and the Windows power savings was already on maximum so no idle mode or screensaver.

However I did disable NVIDIA and Windows High def audio so that only the AMD High def will be used. Also I noticed that I was using a screen saver inside XBMC so I turned this off as well.

After 12 hours still no WASAPI HDMI disconnection, so far so good :-)
Unfortunately hdmi wasapi got disconnected again and this time the tv resolution changed as well because I disabled the other options.

Do you perhaps know if Eden also has this problem? I wanna have the best possible sound quality and Frodo doesn't seem to deliver this now ;(
@DDDamian, you reckon that this could be a solution? http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hdmi-edidp....od_id=8005
seems to fix alot of hdmi signal loss issues from what i hear around the web. people say on the AVSforums and here that once you get one of those all the problems your are describing go away! also i heard a cheapo hdmi switch will hold a connection for you. i bookmarked one that someone confirmed.

Portta PET0301S 3x1 HDMI Switcher Support 3D

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-High-Perform...995&sr=1-1
Thanks for your reply mate :-)

For now I have turned of the option "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen".

Not sure what this option does but WASAPI hasn't been disconnected now for 36 hours :-)