Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: idiot needs helps - 2 issues to solve and I bet answer is staring me in face
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Help Please

Running latest version of XBMC on Windows 7
Its taken me best part of 2 days but I almost have it setup as I want.

My set-up and issues are this

I have my PC in a back bedroom connected to a standard PC LCD monitor
This PC (running Windows 7) is what I use to run XBMC

I have my 2nd TV (an LCD in main bedroom) connected to the same PC by a HDMI cable
I have managed to use the desktop properties to "extend" my desktop onto both screens
I can watch and use XMBC on the TV fine
I have an MCE remote setup to control XBMC on the TV

My issues

(1) No matter how many "work rounds" I have found on the net I am unable to make the Green "MCE" button start XBMC or "awaken" it when I have been using the dektop.

How can I get XBMC to make use of this green button (I have disabled Microsoft Media Center so the green button will not launch that)

(2) Is it possible (and im afarid my terminology will let me down here) that I can use both screens at the same time ? For example I can be browsing the internet on the PC whilst the other half watches something on XBMC in the other room ? As soon as I start typing in a web browser on the PC the XBMC in the bedroom looses "focus" and the remote etc will not work. To get "focus" back I have to click on the taskbar icon for XBMC. Fine if flitting between rooms, not so good if two of us trying make use same time
#1 http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78179

#2 What video card? Should not be happening if your TV is display #2. and you are swiitching to Display #2 in XBMC Settings, Video Output, Change Display
(1) http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=123466

(2) No XBMC doesn't multi-task, get another computer and run XBMC on each, the media can be stored on one with access to the other, check some of the wiki for file synchronization. Although some have had success with XBMC on secondary, with browsers etc on primary.. it depends a lot on how the gfx card handles this. Don't get rattled if you can't get it going.... but do try. Launch XBMC after the extend on the primary, then drag windowed to secondary, expand to full screen with the 'slash', you should be able to launch explorer etc.. on primary without minimization otherwise keep it maxed windowed. You can also try flipping primary with secondary; once you have a repeatable do-able system, configure a script to auto launch this way.
For some reason the TV is "display 1" - would that effect it

I may just get a PI and use that if that would work
Do I need huge mem card etc with those ?
Well, I have never had any issues with running XBMC on Display #2 while still working on the PC,
and my PC is not all that new.. Window 7-64, Intel Q9300 Quad Core @ 2.5Ghz and 4G Ram
But I use an external player (MPC-HC) set to fullscreen on Display #2, so that may be why.

dinkie> you never mentioned your vid card ATI? Nvidia?

Here is a quirk...I have an ATI card, where my PC is primary display and my TV is secondary (extended)
But, according to Windows (right-click on desktop > change resolution). my TV is display #1 and PC is display #2.
Mind you I always use the ATI CCC to setup displays and never that menu.
I only mention it because you have not said what card or where you are setting up your displays.