Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Frodo Sound on video and not on music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm having issues with the music player where it has no sound at all yet anything played through the video player works fine. I also noticed the music player count keeps going back to zero as if faulty. All instructions on sound settings have been carried out and it looks normal as it can play videos. Funny thing is if I play music videos in the library the video is slow and no sound. Some movies are also slow even with the sound and i tried using the radio addon to stream live and the same problem prevailed.

OS=xbmcubuntu 12

Sound Options:
Audio Output =Analog
Speaker Configuration =2.0
Boost volume on downmix =enabled
Output stereo to all speakers =disabled
Audio output device = Default(Intel ICH& Intel ICH7)
Passthrough output device =Error - no device found
Play GUI sounds =Always

NB* Audio output device only has that Intel ICH&Intel ICH7 as an option to choose from

The same box together with my sound systems worked as is in xbmc Eden. Please assist me in my situation.
Update to 12.1 and look at XBMCbuntu#XBMCbuntu_no_audio_devices (wiki)

uNi
Hi uNi,

The link above I visited it earlier when i had Frodo 12.0 and my settings looked the same as suggested however with 12.1 then needed correction. I just upgraded to 12.1 but the problem is still there and if there is a way to setup the audio output for the music player like in the video player maybe that could help.

##OLD from 12.1##
start on ((filesystem
and runlevel [!06]
and started dbus
and (drm-device-added card0 PRIMARY_DEVICE_FOR_DISPLAY=1
or stopped udev-fallback-graphics))
or runlevel PREVLEVEL=S)

stop on runlevel [016]

##NEW###

start on ((filesystem
and runlevel [!06]
and started dbus
and started udev-finish
and stopped udevtrigger
or runlevel PREVLEVEL=S)

stop on runlevel [016]

I noticed if I open music i cannot ssh into the box at that time and you can here my processor been powered. I really dont want to roll back to Eden and my nvidia is upto date

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
nvidia-settings is already the newest version.
nvidia-settings set to manually installed.
nvidia-current is already the newest version.
I have also noticed that its with the Audio Stream where sterio (1/1), AC3 5.1 (1/1) plays very well but MP3 files struggle. It looks like a Audio Stream or file type issue.

Please anyone who has encountered this problem on old P4 hardware.
I eventually rolled back to 11 Eden, and then played all my music and other files which couldn't play. Then I upgraded to 12.1 as below

1)
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc.bin

2) Then I noticed my sound was the only thing faulty this time as my player nolonger skips the count when playing musix or videos. Also all the movies which where draggy when playing are nolonger draggy. Checked Systems-->Systems--->Audio output and all set properly although Passthrough output device is still saying no device found

sudo vim.tiny /etc/init/lightdm.conf

Input use this configuration

start on ((filesystem
and runlevel [!06]
and started dbus
and started udev-finish
and stopped udevtrigger
or runlevel PREVLEVEL=S)

3) Now my challenge is to get the music sound sorted
I am having the same issue in PCLinux OS, running XBMC 12.0. I have sound under the OS and Audio in videos but none under music, nor do the XBMC system sounds work.

At a loss.
Are you getting an error on the passthrough field? I think if its possible to get XBMC Eden 11 sound settings copied to the new Frodo would be ideal. Anyone with an idea where XBMC picks its config files from?
This has really got me confused its integrated sound on my motherborad (Intel ICH5) and it works under Win7 but under linux nothing and this is after trying (linuxmint, pclinuxOS, XBMCuntu, and openelec) I had it once for about a minute after playing around with the mixer settings in KDE but was never able to get it again. So is it a linux issue, a driver issue? configuration issue? or an XBMC issue? or a combination? my guess is it has something to do with the underlayting sound server in lunux (Phonon) tried pulseaudio no go there either. There have just been too many changes to the underlying architecture for me to know.

btw I know when I am watching under linux through the mixer it says there is no output even when there is?
I don't think its a LINUX issue, try to install VLC and logout of XBMC and then play your files in VLC, I bet it will work which shows the base LINUX works but some how this new music engine doesn't pass certain music to the default sound. Try to update your XBMC to 13 and see what happens.

You may also test your sound output through command line, if you get sound from your speakers then you know:

speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2
I noticed XBMCubuntu Frodo can manage to pick some Intel chipsets as passthrough and some it cannot. The one's it does work perfectly i.e Intel Stac92xx Analog but the Default Intel ICH7 Intel ICH7 doesn't get the passthrough details correctly and returns the Error no devices found.

Anyone with an Idea this is so?

I wish I could attach the images of the configurations.