Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SSH not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No matter what I do I can't connect to my home computer through XBMC ssh. Can someone step by step me through or is there a setting I need to check?
what do you mean "xbmc ssh"
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

See this wiki article: SSH (wiki)
Within XBMC, when adding files to my videos, when adding a source, there are a ton of different ways to add a source. One of the options for adding a source under add a network location is SSH/SFTP. I know all the information being added is 100% correct, but I'm still unable to connect to my source through XBMC.
Debug log (wiki)
What operating system does your home computer run? SSH/SFTP is a protocol generally used by linux/unix systems (and it is slow compared to most other protocols such as SMB and NFS). I would recommend trying SMB, which can be used in both Windows as well as Linux and Mac.
Yes. I know about samba, and at home I use samba, but when I'm not at home SSH should work, and it's not working.
So you are doing this outside your h0me lan? Does simple logging in via ssh work?
Yes Nickr. I can log into SSH no issues whatsoever through command line, and through nautilus. It's only XBMC add source that's having the issue seeing my home computer.
Think we need a debug log then.
18:02:48 T:139816146147200 ERROR: SFTPSession: The host key for this server was not found but an other type of key exists. An attacker might change the default server key to confuse your client into thinking the key does not exist
18:02:48 T:139816146147200 ERROR: SFTPSession: Not connected, can't list directory

This is the issue. How do I fix this?
I am having a similar problem.
I have 2 Pi's, one running as a standard pi running as print/airprint/sane scanner server and remote access with SSH works ok.
The other is running xbmc. They are both on the same network and access via ssh to the xbmc device had previously been working. It now fails to connect.
A port scan shows that port 22 is not open, and I can't find the ssh server commands to start the service. (In etc/init.d)
I can use ssh on this device to connect to other devices on the network.

Any help greatly appreciated.
What distro are you using on the xbmc machine?
Does xbmc 14.0 alpha make sense, otherwise can you advise how to check ?
No that is not what I am asking. Raspbmc? Openelec? Etc.