Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Occasional Frame Drop with Eden on Lenovo Q110 (ATOM N230)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

Sorry for this posting if it's a duplicate. I did some research on Google and this forum as well but no luck finding the exact same problem.

I have a Lenovo Q110 box, which's built with an ION platform, N230 CPU, 2G ram and 250G HDD. Right now I am still using XBMCbuntu Eden release and found a performance problem, which also makes me hesitate to upgrade to latest Frodo. I was using the old XBMCubuntu 9.10 since 2010 and that version worked quite good.

Right after installation there's an annoying problem from the day it's installed. When a 1080p movie is played back, there's occasionally a frame drop (1-4 frames) minute to minute. The period of drop is very short( ~1s or less) but still noticable. When the issue happens,
  • CPU usage is not high
  • a/v sync is not lost
  • vq is still very high - (no buffer underrun, I guess?)
  • no dts, audio set to 2.0
  • use HDMI to transfer audio/video to a SONY TV

My questions are
  1. Is ATOM N230/2g memory stick enough for XMBCbuntu 11.x? If yes, will it still be cool for 12.1 release if I do an upgrade?
  2. If the hardware is powerful enough, what might be the reason ?

Please forgive me if this is a silly beginner question - I really cannot find out answer to this, seems it's not a freqently asekd one. Any help is highly appreciated.
That's a long known bug of vdpau which is still in Frodo. One of the reasons why I have complete re-written this part of the code. Give OpenElec a try, it already has the new code.
wow...... I never found this problem in XBMCbuntu 9.10 live.. But anyway I will give OpenElec a try - the only thing holding me back from install OpenElec that is that I have a lot of torrents and a couple of other services. I'll try it from a SD card. And, thanks a lot!
Openelec have torrent addons.....
Yes, sure. I know OpenElec has a lot of services which are ready-to-use. I just hate to reconfigure all my services, ftp, samba, tranmission and a couple of self-made tools. See if I can get a chance this weekend. Thanks

And, it would be of great help is anyone can answer these two questions as I am wondering if I shall buy a new mainstream unit such as Celeron G1610 + H77 or E350 motherboard set or something similar..

1. Is ATOM N230/2g memory stick enough for XMBCbuntu 11.x? If yes, will it still be cool for 12.1 release if I do an upgrade?
  2. If the hardware is powerful enough, what might be the reason ?
Thanks for suggestion, I'll try at some time. However , it doesn't not look like a piece of cake - at least time-wise. Seems I need to find a weekend for this
(2013-04-01, 18:35)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]then use the xvba branch: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=116996

Hey, with 30-minute try, the result looks quite positive, very cool. Thanks! The HUD display of frame "drop" is 0 although I did notice limited "pause". The "pause" maybe from the movie itself because this doesn't happen with another movie. I'll do more test when I get a chance.

Just be curious, why this is not integrated to mainstream if this is such a ready fix? Any special considerations, for example, stability, performance or something else?
(2013-04-01, 09:11)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]That's a long known bug of vdpau which is still in Frodo. One of the reasons why I have complete re-written this part of the code. Give OpenElec a try, it already has the new code.
It is in the process of getting integrated. The changes are huge and do not only affect vdpau, hence they need a proper review.
(2013-04-02, 16:13)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]It is in the process of getting integrated. The changes are huge and do not only affect vdpau, hence they need a proper review.
This is cool! So shall I wait for XBMC 13.x or switch to OpenELEC ??HuhHuhBig GrinBig Grin

Again, thanks for the cool software, which I have been used for 4+ years!
Bump up this post as I am still seeing drops after switching to OpenELEC. Attached a screenshot. You can see that drop is 43 ( the 3rd line of the upper status area) while only played for 21 minutes.

Seems this is not the issue of vdpau referred by earlier posts? Huh
So why again did you go to openelec when you had the xvba branch working?
(2013-04-05, 06:36)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]So why again did you go to openelec when you had the xvba branch working?
sorry I messed up - thought the OpenELEC 3.0 and the xvba are referring to the same thing.. So my current result is just OpenELEC 3.0 is performing better but still has the problem. Will try xvba branch when I get a chance.
OE uses the same vdpau code from FernetMenta. Some frame drops at start and while opening the OSD are normal. Important is that the counter doesn't do up all the time.
Please enable "sync playback to display" and debug logging in advancedsettings and post full debug log.
(2013-04-05, 09:30)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]OE uses the same vdpau code from FernetMenta. Some frame drops at start and while opening the OSD are normal. Important is that the counter doesn't do up all the time.

I do notice the counter keeps going up from the beginning to the end...

(2013-04-05, 09:31)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]Please enable "sync playback to display" and debug logging in advancedsettings and post full debug log.

Here's the debug log: debug log captured with Frodo(vdpau enabled). This is still captured with a regular Frodo release. xbva version not used yet because I need time to re-install the system.
Pages: 1 2