Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Frodo fps/refresh cause frame dropping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've been playing around for a while with XBMC since early versions and lately upgraded to Frodo (openelec distribution)

the system performs quite strange .MKV files, for example:

23.97 fps movie will have frame drops unless i switch the TV to 24hz mode.
24 fps movie will have frame drops unless i switch the TV to 50hz mode.

Lipsync issues are also noticeable, mainly when switching between 23.9 and 24 fps movies.

I've tried to force audio sync to TV use dupe/drop, it makes it better but still not smooth as i like.

The main issue is that i want to enjoy high refresh rate for generally smoother operation of xbmc but it becomes a real issue when watching lower fps movies every time i play a movie (using adjust refresh rate of the tv to the movie) it needs few seconds of switching to the new refresh rate which is quite annoying.

So if i can summarize my questions:
1. How can I get smooth operation of XBMC with synchronized audio/video (focus on lipsync!) using high refresh rate level?
2. How can I avoid frame drops?

my setup is:
sharp 60"
6GB/Q6600/GTX 260 connected through HDMI, passthrough audio through HDMI (xbmc is configured to output through coax)
All media is located on local 2TB 7200rpm drives.
In video settings all accelerators are on, full screen mode in hardware->video settings, and vertical black sync is on (otherwise picture is jumpy)

Any idea how to get it sorted will be much appreciated and i'm breaking my head for few days now ! Smile

Thanks !

Here is my xorg.conf
----

Section "Device"
Identifier "nvidia"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
Option "NoFlip" "false"
Option "NoLogo" "true"
Option "ConnectToAcpid" "0"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes"
Option "HWCursor" "false"
# To put Xorg in debug mode change "false" to "true" in the line below:
Option "ModeDebug" "false"
# To use a local edid.bin file uncomment the 4 lines below (change DFP-0 to match your card)
# Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
# Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/storage/.config/edid.bin"
# Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
# Option "UseEDID" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen"
Device "nvidia"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "ColorRange" "Full"
# Option "ColorRange" "Limited"
# Option "ColorSpace" "RGB"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "false"
EndSection

-----

Pretty generic... i saw other recommends locking down specific configuration for Xorg/Nvidia with options for two/three mods (taking from EDID) of 24/50/60hz

any idea?
Thanks
anyone?