Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Switched from Ubuntu to Debian -> Black Video on AVC1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am one of those lucky few with an OCZ Vertex2 that just broke. This was the SSD in my AMD Fusion media center, on which I happily ran Ubuntu 12.04 with XBMC. No problems. Until it fried. Had to start from scratch, so I use Debian Testing because I hate to reinstall every 6 months (Ubuntu).

So now I run Debian-testing, and on certain videos, XBMC plays audio only. Black video. Software and hardware rendering. Fullscreen and Windowed. XBMC 11.0.

From the few movies I've gathered so far, it appears that all movies that XBMC detects as AVC will have no video. Yet video's detected as 1080 H.264 run fine. But isn't this also AVC? What is the problem?

AVC that works is like this:
Format : AVC // See? This is also AVC! Why does XBMC make a difference?
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

AVC that does not work is like this:
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Codec ID : avc1

Profiles and other stuff is the same, usually 4.0 or 4.1. For both groups of videos.

Please note that using vlc or gnome-mlpayer, all videos work fine.

Anyone any clue? Are codecs compiled with XBMC? Does Debian have a tainted version? Any other repositories for Debian?
Confirmed! Same problem here on debian sid..........yet they play fine in an external player once downloaded. HmmmmmHuh
start with a debug log and which xbmc version you are running.
I had this only with Debian-Testing. I believe it was XMBC 11.0 that had the problem (while XBMC 11.0 works perfectly on Ubuntu btw).
For me, switching to Debian-Sid temporarily, only to update XBMC to 12.1, fixed the problem. Smile
Interesting......
I'm stuck on XBMC 11.0 Eden since 12+ won't work on my OLD intel 845g gpu. Worked around problem by using playercorefactory.xml to launch all video in VLC & they all play fine! Internal XBMC players would only play sound on all AVC1.This system is too old to put a newer video card in it so I was pleased to find a workaround.