Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Google TV, DLNA, and more
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have searched the forums and not found my answer but would be surprised if this topic hadn't already been discussed, so forgive me if I totally missed the boat!

I'm new to XBMC (what in the world have I been doing with my life??) and have a question about the UPnP capability, Google TV, DLNA, etc. Ultimately the question is: can I use XBMC as a player and my Google TV (in my case, an old Logitech Revue) as a receiver? I have read that Google TV does not have the capability itself to install XBMC. However, you can install Google Play apps like ViMu to pick up music and videos from XBMC on another device (in my case a Samsung Galaxy S3). So a video on my GS3 can be played on my GTV (voila!). So my real issue is actually one step further. I want to know if there is a way to do this with streaming video from Video Add Ons in XBMC. Anyone know of a way to get streaming video coming through a Video Add On in XBMC on Android to stream to my Google TV?

Thanks!
Eventually, yes. The UPnP/DLNA features are being expanded upon for functionality like this. So far it's only working between XBMC and XBMC, but I hear the goal is for it to eventually work with any UPnP/DLNA target.
Fair enough, thanks for the quick reply!

I'm sure I'm not the only person wondering some of this stuff. In your opinion (or anyone else out there too!), would you go for one of the current out-there products (eg. Pivos XIOS, ATV2, G-box) or do you think we are still in a watch-and-wait period for Android-based set-top box/HTPC technology? I'm a classic cut-the-cord seeker and have tested life with the the Logitech Revue (lack of access to full Google Play market is very limiting) and the Samsung AllShare Cast Dongle to work with my Samsung Galaxy S3 (pretty cool, but sucks for streaming video in XBMC through phone to TV...they say Android 4.2 will be better, but I have my doubts).

Overall it seems clear that a true Android-based system is the way to go, but I just can't tell if existing products maximize currently (or will soon) XBMC's capability, or whether it is smarter to keep waiting.

Thoughts?
Hi all,

Is it possible to go the other way? For example stream content via UPnP to XBMC. Similiar to what Playon would do.

Thanks!
(2013-06-06, 22:36)PedroRivera Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to go the other way? For example stream content via UPnP to XBMC.
Streaming basic files to XBMC via UPnP is both possible and pretty simple - I stream videos from my Android device all the time.

Pushing streaming (eg. Hulu etc) to XBMC via UPnP is not something I would think is possible, though I am happy to be corrected.
I'm going to test it tonight. I've got a Sony GTV NSZGS7. I've just built a low powered HTPC to run OpenELEC w/XBMC. What I want to accomplish is to be able to access NETFLIX, HULU, etc from XBMC via UPnP on the GTV.

I looked on the APP store and there a re a few UPnP/DLNA servers available.
(2013-04-04, 14:13)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Eventually, yes. The UPnP/DLNA features are being expanded upon for functionality like this. So far it's only working between XBMC and XBMC, but I hear the goal is for it to eventually work with any UPnP/DLNA target.

UPNP via XBMC is fine on the MX2 as well as many other android devices I have. DLNA I am not too sure though via XBMC, using an app called media center that came with the unit that acts as a server\client in one so its pretty neat. Would love to see this tied into XBMC directly - but I am not too sure how far the file-manager goes as I have never tried for this.