Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WIP] Sketchy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A big thank to skinner "igotdvds" and "Sinvida" that created the skin and about 392% of the code.

Hello, I felt the need to post a new thread (so that I could modify the 1st post without always asking for mods to do it) concerning Sketchy, a skin initially developed by "igotdvds". It was about 90% finished (probably more!) and he asked me to finish it, which I gladly accepted since I think this skin is quite original. You don't have the feeling that you are on your computer, which is what I always try to do when I am in front of my TV.

Here's the original thread : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=101389

I'd be more than happy to fix the remaining bugs that you could find. Thanks!

Here's some images:
watch gallery

Download

• Skin now is on the XBMC Developement Repo. Download and install the repository.xbmc.skins.staging-frodo1.0.0.zip file and you can install the skin and get the updates through XBMC.
SVN development Repository

TO-DO (short-term)
  • Localization of all labels.... 10% done!

CHANGELOG
  • Add half-star support (for 1.0.10)
  • Custom fanart folder for Home screen (for 1.0.10) DONE in svn repo.
  • Add a new "list" view for heavy collection (done 1.0.9)
  • Fix blank entry on home screen when watchlist is used (done 1.0.8)
  • Add support for Watchlist items (done 1.0.7)
  • Correct latest albums on home screen (done 1.0.7)
  • Add back "single-day" Next Aired infos (done in 1.0.6)
  • Add DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD icons (done, in 1.0.5, fixed in 1.0.6)
  • Remove "HD Ready 1080" icon (done, in 1.0.5)
  • Fix TV Alert -> remove blank entry (done, in 1.0.5, fixed in 1.0.6)
  • Add the option to use random fanart background on Home screen (done, in 1.0.5)

TO-DO (long-term)
  • PVR support (version 2 probably, not before).
That looks great, something really different!

What might look good (and also, might look rubbish) (if it's possible), is to have the logo/text on the menus "animated" - you know looping through 2-3 frames which make it look like it's being continually redrawn slightly differently each frame.
(2013-04-04, 17:39)ConfusedTA Wrote: [ -> ]That looks great, something really different!

What might look good (and also, might look rubbish) (if it's possible), is to have the logo/text on the menus "animated" - you know looping through 2-3 frames which make it look like it's being continually redrawn slightly differently each frame.

I'm not sure that's possible. I'll see if I can make that, as it would be quite "in-line" with the skin design and name.
The most original skin I've seen since The Paper Street Soap Company!

I'll test-drive it in a couple of hours.
Any plans for PVR support?
(2013-04-04, 19:26)minimoe Wrote: [ -> ]The most original skin I've seen since The Paper Street Soap Company!

I'll test-drive it in a couple of hours.

Thanks for the test-drive!

(2013-04-05, 14:52)TjaLfE Wrote: [ -> ]Any plans for PVR support?

Yes, but not before this release is stable and bug-free.
Well...that's a very well done skin! Good looking and original.

A few things that need attention:

- A couple more Custom video items in the main menu wouldn't hurt Smile
I tried to add a custom item but the only option is "Path". Does the skin support Smart Playlists?

- The OSD buttons in the music visualization screen don't have labels. I assume you left that part last, like most skinners Big Grin

- Pressing "right" to get to recent items is not very user-friendly. I accidentally switched to the Recent items screen many times while browsing the library.
The Recent items screen is very nice though.

- In the TV Guide, text labels for the shows are needed. I mainly use posters so the TV guide screen came up full of generic icons and no way of knowing which shows they represent.

Oh, before I forget. I LOVE THE TURNTABLE!!
(2013-04-06, 11:45)minimoe Wrote: [ -> ]Well...that's a very well done skin! Good looking and original.

A few things that need attention:

- A couple more Custom video items in the main menu wouldn't hurt Smile
I tried to add a custom item but the only option is "Path". Does the skin support Smart Playlists?

- The OSD buttons in the music visualization screen don't have labels. I assume you left that part last, like most skinners Big Grin

- Pressing "right" to get to recent items is not very user-friendly. I accidentally switched to the Recent items screen many times while browsing the library.
The Recent items screen is very nice though.

- In the TV Guide, text labels for the shows are needed. I mainly use posters so the TV guide screen came up full of generic icons and no way of knowing which shows they represent.

Oh, before I forget. I LOVE THE TURNTABLE!!

Thanks for the feedback!

For Recent Items "on right", I could add an option for that, so that people could disable it.

For the TV guide, the nedia used are clearlogos. I guess a proper way to do it would be to add posters as a fallback in case clearlogos are not used.

For the custom menu items, there's some rough edge there (not finished!). I'll concentrate on it for the next update. I'll look what other skin are doing there as I dont use custom menu usually. By reading your comment, I guess playlst and smart playlist are a requisite?

Thanks again!
Nice skin, running this on ATV2 , works fine but crashes on wall view. Is there a way to disable certain views so I can prevent crashing when trying to get to the views that do work

Thanks
(2013-04-07, 15:07)homerjs Wrote: [ -> ]Nice skin, running this on ATV2 , works fine but crashes on wall view. Is there a way to disable certain views so I can prevent crashing when trying to get to the views that do work

Thanks

Well I could add the ability in skin settings to disable views. When you say wall view, you mean the one that has 2 horizontal row of poster?
Some more things:
  • There is no progress indicator for the library updates
  • Can you add an option to update the library in one of the home screen submenus?
  • Nice touch to make the OSD semi-transparent when adjusting subtitle delay.

The biggest problem I have with Sketchy is the...skin design itself!
What I mean: It is made with soft colours and hand-drawn graphics and the XBMC artwork (posters, thumbs etc) with their bright colours stand out too much.
I don't know if yo can do something about it, for the home screen at least.I was thinking something like sepia coloured or black & white thumbnails and posters in the home screen widgets. Or you can rotate them a little so that they look like photographs thrown on a table.
(2013-04-08, 23:11)minimoe Wrote: [ -> ]Some more things:
  • There is no progress indicator for the library updates
  • Can you add an option to update the library in one of the home screen submenus?
  • Nice touch to make the OSD semi-transparent when adjusting subtitle delay.

The biggest problem I have with Sketchy is the...skin design itself!
What I mean: It is made with soft colours and hand-drawn graphics and the XBMC artwork (posters, thumbs etc) with their bright colours stand out too much.
I don't know if yo can do something about it, for the home screen at least.I was thinking something like sepia coloured or black & white thumbnails and posters in the home screen widgets. Or you can rotate them a little so that they look like photographs thrown on a table.

- Progress bar has been added (with the skin option of starting Artwork downloader after a library update in "silent" mode).
- I'm not in front of my working station, but I think there's already a shortcut when you click on "Home" menu (the "S" icon). If there's no shortcut, I'll add one since it's a good idea.

For the skin design.. I don't know. I do like in fact that the posters, etc.. stands out. I don't mind adding some more art filters though (as a skin option) as it could add some nice finition touch to the skin. However, I don't plan to rotate the posters as I think it's really hard to integrate that correctly. Maybe once the skin is finished!

Thanks again for the feedback!

edit - I corrected the custom home menu items. Smart playlist can be used. Everything works with the "favourites" script : you create a smart playlist and add it to your favorites. Then you create your home custom menu.

I'vr alse added the option to disable "Recent items on right" and added the option to use "TV Guide on right" (instead of "Recent on right"... so no option or either Recent or TV Guide shortcuts). So, a little bit more customization.

I plan to release that version tomorrow (already available in the SVN development repo).
Thanks for the updates. The skin is getting better and better Smile
Ok, version 1.0.2 will be in the repo later today. Added a bunches of fixes and new options. Look out for "Use Sepia Filter" option Wink

You'll see that there's 2 different sepia filter ("Rows" view vs the other view and also Home latest movies vs Home latest episodes). I want to look how it feels on a HDTV before deciding on the final sepia filter.

Also, a nice option is the ability to launch Artwork downloader in silent mode automatically as soon as a new library update has been done.

Enjoy and feedbacks are always welcomed! Smile

Will post some screenshots later today.

edit - SCREENSHOTS

watch gallery
Nice work, appreciate it. Is it in the realm of possibility to ask for a multi banner view for TV shows rather than the scrolling banner view.
Thanks again
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9