Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [i.MX6] XBMC running on Freescale SoC's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
(2013-07-04, 02:36)wolfgar Wrote: [ -> ]By the way : on the wandboard the core cpu temperature does not go beyond 50°C while (for the same use cases) the temp was 80°C on the GK802 (even with my additional heatsink on the case). Things are REALLY different with a properly designed board ;-)
regards
Stéphan

Good to know that it's not an imx6 issue.

Did you test without "dirty regions" and what frame rate are you getting?
Hi Stephan, do you know what cpu rev and CPU-tag your wandboard quad have?

I think there also is some difference on the gk802 using a batch of cpu's they got cheap for some reasons. Looks like some runs cooler than others. Mine was rev 1.1 and tagged PC:MX6Q5EYM10AB and runs much cooler compared to mtx512 running same tests.
(2013-07-03, 23:38)wolfgar Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your answer : You seem to have a similar memory layout as I have on my gk802 which is able to allocate the dma buffers without trouble so I don't understand for now...
Anyway I should have my own board up and running very soon (still a little power supply issue but not a big deal ...)
So I will experiment and you can be sure that it is my priority Wink
Happy to hear that, especially because i unexpectetly recieved my wandboard quad today Big Grin
(2013-07-04, 02:36)wolfgar Wrote: [ -> ]Me again
Please try this xbmc binary
You have to decompress the file and to replace the file /imx6/xbmc/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin on the target
Thanks, i will try it right away.

(2013-07-04, 02:36)wolfgar Wrote: [ -> ]By the way : on the wandboard the core cpu temperature does not go beyond 50°C while (for the same use cases) the temp was 80°C on the GK802 (even with my additional heatsink on the case). Things are REALLY different with a properly designed board ;-)

Temps on the dual also dont exceed 56°C with small heatsink attached.
The big heatsink on top of the quad seems to be quite adequate for the increased heat dissipation.
Speaking of proper design, the SPDIF transmitter is correctly routed at last.

have a nice day Smile
Hi all,

@mtx512 : I will run additional tests without dirty regions.
Regarding frame rate, as far as I remember I was between 70 and 110 fps depending on the pages on the GUI...
I will run more extensive tests as soon as I get a screen (I don't have a dedicated monitor/tv for the board so I have to share the tv with my family Wink )

@hste I don't know exactly about CPU-tag : Is there a mean to get it without removing the heatsink ?Regarding revision it is a V1.2 according to linux..
I also suspect a specific batch in the GK802 : Even when I tried to open the case and to directly attach a heatsink the temp was still really high : And it was not a measurement error : The (big) heatsink was also hot...

@xn2000 : The new binary should be able to play 1080p vids (at least it works on my board)
TOS link connector is indeed correctly wired (It was a must have for me as I plan to turn the board as my main media center among other thing and my amp is quite old and does not support hdmi...) By the way, wandboard team confirmed it was solved with other hw issues...

Best regards
Stephan
There are some register than can be read (0x020C.8260) to get the cpu type and silicon revision. With u-boot this is also printed out if CONFIG_DISPLAY_CPUINFO is defined.

But don't think you'll find Wandboard quads with engineering samples (silicon revision 1.0 or 1.1 (A or B as last letter as the chip part number). But what's the real differences I don't know... The hdmi stick boards are also a lot smaller and packed so makes it worse for efficient heat dissipation through the board itself.
@stephan have you tried increasing vpu freq and watch how it influence on temp? CONFIG_MX6_VPU_352M
https://community.freescale.com/thread/309304
Hi Stephan, is the latest binary update you posted on p12 suitable for use on the GK802 or are you compiling only for the wandaboard now ?? I modded my GK802 with a proper heatsink so it's not running above 60 degrees !

Edit - tried it and just got a black screen Sad
Hi jpearn

For now I have only posted images wich are supposed to be compatible with the GK802 (No official image for wandboard : I am currently working to release a decent image for wandboard but it is not ready yet)
The latest release is in post 86 and should work on gk802..

Best regards
Stephan
(2013-07-06, 19:31)wolfgar Wrote: [ -> ]Hi jpearn

For now I have only posted images wich are supposed to be compatible with the GK802 (No official image for wandboard : I am currently working to release a decent image for wandboard but it is not ready yet)
The latest release is in post 86 and should work on gk802..

Best regards
Stephan

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the reply, I am using this image for now. I have changed the skin to Quartz and dirtyregions to 1 and it is running nice and smooth ! Do you have anymore plans for updating the GK802 image or are you working just on the wandaboard now ??

cheers, Jason.
Hi jason,

Glad to hear that it is running fine for you.
Regarding dirtyregions, I set 2 by default because I had a little flickering issue with my very first release when I tried mode 1. (But in fact it was maybe a overheating issue)
If you don't experience this issue with mode 1 then you are right : it is even better to choose this mode...

Don't worry, there is no reason why gk802 could not benefit from my iMX/XBMC development to come (I am currently working on getting a fully working CEC for instance and it should work for any iMX6 board... -As long as cec signal is properly routed of course-)
The only question is : Will I continue to provide a dedicated image and, frankly, I am unsure for now...
You can be sure that I will, at least, release an official gk802 image based on fsl BSP4.0.0 as I already have this image ready on my own device...

Regards
Stephan

(2013-07-05, 10:38)hste Wrote: [ -> ]@stephan have you tried increasing vpu freq and watch how it influence on temp? CONFIG_MX6_VPU_352M
https://community.freescale.com/thread/309304

Hi,

I have not tested to increase VPU frequency as I already have thermal issues with the GK802...
But you are right it deserves a test : I add it on my (very long) todo list ;-)

Regards
Stephan
How do you guys keep the temperature of your GK802s down? Could you post some pictures or elaborate on your hardware hacks? I've tried attaching an old heatsink to the metal casing, but it still goes up and up until the device finally crashes.

Anyway, thanks for everybody's effort. The GK802 itself runs fine under linux, it would be a great XBMC device, if it wasn't for the heat problem.
Hi sepinho

we can get the core temperature by issuing the command from a shell :
cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
In xbmc we can also read the temperature in system->system info->hardware

Well, out of the box, the GK802 is able to boot linux but is unable to run any GPU benchmark because of this overheating issue.
I wrote a long explanation here because a user was upset by the overheating issue...

Regards
Stephan
Hi sepinho,

I have attached a photo of what I have setup on most of my Android TV sticks now, which is a 30mm fan wired into the 5V supply. A 15ohm resistor is in there to tune the speed down a touch so it's virtually silent. The top of the case (a square under the fan) has been cut off to allow for better airflow. With this I get around 50° during playback and 60° when moving through menus etc.

Cheers, Jason.

I have a few Sabrelite/Nitrogen6x boards lying around. From your last message I assume I would be best off trying to get xbmc running with the BSP 4.0.0 release on these boards too? But what about other required files / config / xbmc... Where to find what is required? Are you planning on a more generic release that should work off most i.mx6 boards, that don't necessarily includes the entire root fs? I'm more of a HW person btw so bare with me (currently in the process of finalizing a custom i.mx6 board)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39