Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Bring back XBMP's style of multi-stacking or both?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
i like the movie stacking feature in the newest build of xbmc - the trouble is it works a bit too well!

for example, i had on my xbox:

the little mermaid.mpg
the little mermaid ii.mpg
(don't ask)

anyway, after an update to the new build i noticed that only the first was in the list - it was taking the roman 'ii' as the second (stacked) part of the same file.

personally i'd prefer to only stack multi-part video files, rather than sequels. perhaps it would be better to be a bit tighter on the syntax of stacked filenames?

also on the subject of this, i do have a multipart vid on my box. the filenames are:

harry potter cd1.mpg
harry potter cd2.mpg
harry potter cd3.mpg

this stacks correctly, but the filename in the list is the name of the first part. if files are named in this way, how about an auto (or user) created 'stack name' for the entire movie? in this example, i'd prefer to just see 'harry potter' in the list, then select the appropriate cd from the stack icons.

does anyone agree?
i didn't realize what was going on at first. i was trying to watch some tv shows i had with the following names:

chappelles.show.s02e01.vcd.ffn.mpg
chappelles.show.s02e03-bj.mpg
the chappelle show - 202 - [abn].avi

as you can probably guess the first two were stacked. what is the criteria for stacking files? what's the syntax xbmc looks for to stack them?

-cameron
really, what is the reason to change the way file stacking works in xbmc compaired to file stacking in xbmp?

as we all know, in xbmp the user always had 100% control by using the ...-cdx naming scheme. doesn't everyone prefer total control of file stacking? Smile
xbmc filestacking is different from xbmp
it stacks files for which the filenames >90% the same
however, every method has its exception. in this case it doesnt work for sequels and/or tvshows.
in these cases, best thing is to put your movies in seperate folders or use the unstack button.

the reason we're not using the -cdxxx algo anymore is that
it requires users to rename all their files. and many ppl (including me) burned their movies on cd/dvd
frodo
(frodo @ feb. 06 2004,09:56 Wrote:xbmc filestacking is different from xbmp
it stacks files for which the filenames >90% the same
however, every method has its exception. in this case it doesnt work for sequels and/or tvshows.
in these cases, best thing is to put your movies in seperate folders or use the unstack button.
maybe implement two modes of stacking:
- classic, simple stacking a lá xbmp for users using streaming/hdd
-'fyzzy'/intelligent(?) stacking for users using discs

...selectable in 'settings' like 'use fuzzy stacking |x|'.

having to utilize subfolders is a drag! Sad  and not using any file-stacking is also a drag! Sad

:d still, xbmc is great!
and pls dont post the same question several times in these forums!
frodo
video stacking is stacking some of my tv show mpg's, which obviously i don't want.

my normal naming schemes use 01x08 or s01e08 within the file to signify season and episode. for some reason its using this to stack some files, others using the same scheme don't get stacked...

thanks!
this is a recurring topic already covered a lot (see e.g. here).

in short, current implementation uses fuzzy logic which means you can't be sure on how your files will be stacked (hence fuzzy Image ).  personally i'd like an alternative mode of stacking using the ...-cdx naming scheme used in xmbp.

apperently there are two views on this question: users having their files on harddisc media and users with files on dvds, with the latter not being able to rename their files (for obvious reasons). as i understand it, the current implementation is baised towards the latter.
then maybe an option or something?

right now i just "unstack" the files, but then i have to switch back and forth for the movies list i have.

or maybe an option for the folder setup in the xml that lets you default this mode for individual shares.
i too have to say i find this new stacking solution anoying for movie sequels and tv-serie episodes, so i would also like to see an option for the 'old' xbmp (_cdx & -cdx & .cdx) method in xbmc
same here, if it's not backwards to make such an option.

my reason for this is: back-wards compability, ie. for those who need it, it could be made to work.

except if it's a lot of work.
if you ask me (i like pretending that people have), it's fine as is. i too do get annoyed with tv episodes, etc, however that's what the easy access to the unstack button is for.

morien
i've posted a feature request here to make xbmc remember the last used setting for a folder (stacked or unstacked), so that we typically will only need to configure a folder once. what does everyone else think?

morien
i think remembering the folder setting is a great idea. generally for the things that stacking doesn't work for, i don't want stacked ever anyway.
what is your view on file stacking in xbmc?

the current implemetation of file stacking in xbmc, using fuzzy logic, seem to be confusing to some users of xbmc. other users, like users with movies on cd/dvd discs, seem to like it. apperently it automatically stack together files names that are more than 90 % similar, giving unexpected results in some cases. the file stacking can of cause be turned of resulting in just that, no file stacking.

in constrast the file stacking scheme of xbmp stacked files having the exact same name except for a file ending like _cdx.avi , -cdx.avi , or .cdx.avi (where x = number), giving the user full control over what files where stacked together. users with already burnt movies on disc might not have been able to use this stacking since they could not rename their already burnt files.

there are constantly posts on the forum relating to this subject. see for example:

new video stacking feature and movie sequels (merged post)

hopefully this poll can give an insight on the general view on file stacking in xbmc.

add your comments to this thread. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3