Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMU / Ubuntu not displaying over HDMI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there, apologies if this isn't strictly the right place, but hopefully you'll be able to point me in the right direction.

I've just built my new HTPC;
MSI Z77IA-E53 m-itx board
Intel i3 3220
4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
128GB Sandisk mSata drive (mounted directly onto the board)
XBMCBunutu 12.0

I've got it all hooked up to my amp & TV over HDMI, just like the ones it's replacing.

Now, installation went fine, all done over HDMI. But now, when I boot, I get the XBMC splash screen - but after that the screen goes blank. If I stick the VGA cable in, it displays fine - but not ovr HDMI post the splash screen.
My own guess was down to display drivers, but I don't believe there's separate driver available. I thought maybe I'd changed a BIOS setting I shouldn't have, but I've reset them all to default with no effect.

thanks for any suggestions
Using the VGA cable can you check/set the video output in system settings?
You can use xrandr to change the displays once booted via ssh. For permanent changes you'll probably need to make changes to your xorg.conf
Thanks both
I've played around with the XBMC setting but not been able to get it to make a difference. As the issue also occurs within Ubuntu, I assume it's something beyond XBMC's reach anyway?

I've checked xrandr, and it does display the HDMI connection, and lists it as connected. But, I'm not sure what I could check / change to address this issue (not used xrandr before). I've tried setting the display as primary, but to no avail.
Well I be damned!
Did a bit more googleing and found a lot of references to people with dual-monitor issues. After initially dismissing, it clicked that I am using dual monitor (HDMI+VGA)
Many reported issues dual-monitoring with HDMI as one of the inputs.
I tried unplugging VGA, and voila - it works!

not sure what the issue was to begin with then, perhaps it was a bios setting I'd changed!

thanks for the help all!