Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Master lock required when logging in as user (profiles)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I have encountered a problem after activating profiles.

I have created an additional user (for my kids) both with and without profile lock, however anytime I log in via the kids profile it asks me for the master unlock code. I can press the escape key around 6 or 7 times and it will then log in and be functional to the relevant lock settings.

As the "kids" profile requires certain locked settings I am forced to use the master lock within my own profile.

The initial xbmc build was the current latest, however having looked to see if this has already been reported (and finding a similar issue that was dealt with in the bug tracker) I upgraded to nightly and unstable to test with the same result.

I have attempted to delete user profiles and re-initiate, I have also removed my advanced settings file which initially pointed to a central database and am using the original database.

My O/S is Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

here is a link to pastebin with a log level 2 from bootup to kids home screen (after esc many times)

http://pastebin.com/zGAEusqQ

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

If you've set a master password, you can select Enter Master Mode and you won't be repeatedly prompted to enter the password every time you select a locked function... until you choose to Exit Master Mode.
Thanks for the reply.

The issue is that the account "kids" will not have access to the master code, however after you load the account it immediately asks for the master code even before you have access to the home screen, so nothing intentionally has been selected in which to ask for the master lock. I suspect whilst it is loading the profile it is attempting to load something that does require master access.

I have now tried this on another system (EduBuntu) and have a different reaction from that machine. That machine is asking for master unlock before even allowing you to select a user. You can not escape out of this machine as it locks after the 3 attempts.

I will report back if I make any further advancements.
I'm running into this same issue. I just created a kids profile that should not be asking for a master lock.
I feel this is a small bug, have you attempted to create the profiles on an existing system?

I have now managed to resolve this but I had to reconfigure xbmc on all machines, not that much of a problem for me as I have a central database that I have managed to use to quickly set up all the new machines.

If this is an existing system I would recommend backing up your music and video librarys and following this same course of action, once you have fresh installs of xbmc create user profiles straight away with in my case seperate databases. Then import your data to the relevant users. The profile for the kids was totally new so decided to add just the video files I allow them access to and scan into a new library.

I hope this is of help, if not please do let me know and I will assist where I can
I was running into the same issue on Windows and couldn't figure out why the Kids profile kept asking for the master lock code several times when logging in, but it looks like I just found out what the issue was. I had locked the programs and script windows under the Kids profile and so it seems as though every script that was trying to run as part of the skin was requiring the master code since they were locked. I just unlocked the programs & scripts windows for the Kids profile and now it logs right in without prompting for the master code several times.
Awesome! I had the same problem and your posting solved it for me! Thanks!

(2013-04-27, 16:07)LiMPiNg Wrote: [ -> ]I was running into the same issue on Windows and couldn't figure out why the Kids profile kept asking for the master lock code several times when logging in, but it looks like I just found out what the issue was. I had locked the programs and script windows under the Kids profile and so it seems as though every script that was trying to run as part of the skin was requiring the master code since they were locked. I just unlocked the programs & scripts windows for the Kids profile and now it logs right in without prompting for the master code several times.