Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Should I try with windows? Ubuntu problem...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I say hey!

Well I decide to make a HTPC, after thinking wich version of XBMC I should use (openelec, XBMC live, etc) I choose first to install Ubuntu. Everything runs great, video works, audio works.

Now my next step was, connect my nas to the computer. Well, Ubuntu is making me crazy at this point.. After Google how to tutorials, I'm more confused... XD

So, I asking you guys, there's a normal(easy) way to connect my nas in to Ubuntu? When I try to install smbfs, the terminal ended with there's no Paket for that... And every single tutorials are related with this smbfs...

If not, wich version of windows I should use? Vista, 7 or 8? I made this PC just to use it als entertainment system, that's mean just XBMC, no more no less. That's why I choose Ubuntu, because it no use to many resources.. But als you read, trying to attach an external hardisk is not pretty easy.

Like I say, if I have to use windows, wich version run with XBMC better, one extra point is, start XBMC automatically and fullscreen, nothing else, no antivirus or games or extra software, just XBMC.

Thanks for the replies...
I find OpenELEC to be simpler to deal with than Ubuntu and XBMC. OpenELEC is the true "just XBMC" solution. But it is a bit hardware dependent.

Windows 7 has performed solidly for many users, and there are a lot more of them around than Windows 8 users in case you need some help.

For more help, be more specific about your setup and issue. Explain what type of NAS setup (NFS, SMB?) What have you tried to do that hasn't worked? Etc.
Have you tried using an NFS File Sharing protocol instead of CFIS (SMB)? What NAS server software are you using?

I have my HTPC connected to my NAS using SMB without any issues at all. I've used SMB with FreeNAS, OpenMediaVault, Windows Server 2008 R2 (which is what I'm using now) and Open Filer. None of those systems gave me any problems. Are you sure its Ubuntu that's causing the problem? Have you tried connecting to the NAS with another system to see if you are getting the same error?
Just a side note on this as well, if you do decide to change operating systems I would avoid Windows 8 like the plague. There is something fishy going on with Secure Boot and Microsoft. A lot of talk going around about it being created so Microsoft can prevent other Operating systems from being installed on the system once Security Boot has been enabled with Windows 8. It can be turned off, but I for one will not be supporting it.