Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbmcbuntu advanced launcher and steam. What am I missing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
<Edit>
Basically to summarize my issue and resolution:
Running xbmcbuntu on a decently fast htpc and looking to replace a console with the rig. Steam add on, and Advanced Launcher both would not function correctly or stable, I could get it to launch eventually but it always ended in the system hanging.
As cool and light as Xbmcbuntu is there really is no way to run either of the addons right out of the box on the distro (read below).

To Quote Angelscry:

That's your problem. You are under a XBMC session (mean XBMC into standalone mode, without any desktop/windows manager). So any external applications (like Steam) that require advanced windows, display, command, input or control supports, (generally managed by a desktop/windows manager) cannot work properly.

People always made this mistake. They want to use a light linux based XBMC dedicated operating system (XBMCbuntu, OpenElec, etc...) for they HTPC... and then do not understand why they could not start anything else than XBMC on it. If it is light and dedicated, it's because a lot of things (necessary for other application) have been removed from the operating systems. They are good operating system if you want to only use XBMC, but if you plan to use other application it will become really more complicated.

If you want to start external application (aka Steam) on your system you need to have at least a desktop/windows manager running on it. To do this you have 3 solutions (from the worth to the best):

Create a script (.sh) that you will be started from XBMC that will start a light desktop/windows manager and then will automatically launch Steam.
Boot your system into a light desktop/windows manager (like openbox) and then automatically start XBMC.
Use a linux distribution with a desktop/windows manager.

I chose just to migrate to another distro, and would recommend anyone looking to do anything like this to read through this thread as its loaded with good info for two very helpful devs for there addons. Truly dedicated to helping a frustrating newb in need.

<Original Post>
I have searched quite a bit for people using advanced launcher and steam or steam games together. For the sake of possibly keeping it simple I would like to just launch steam and pick a game from there.

Here is a link to a thread discussing this in windows http://www.gwenael.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=209 I cannot seem to get this working on xbmcbuntu though. There is a bunch of threads where people essentially make a link to the game and use ie to launch said game. Right clicking on the steam icon on my desktop does not reveal a URL that I could use in chromium or Firefox.

I managed to track down where the launcher in the games menu on the ubuntu desktop that launches tf2. It was burred in the /etc folder, I have set up and advanced launcher for this file. It will open tf2 windowed almost covering the entire screen but my controls (mouse keyboard etc) are under it on the xmbc home screen and I have to restart the box using the power button.

I am essentially trying to make or find a walk through for beginners like myself specific to xbmcbuntu or Linux/Unix distros that can help launch one of the main gaming platforms for these builds.
Thanks in advance to anyone offering to help.
It's been a while but I finally got a moment to play with this.
It turns out running /usr/bin/steam %u in console starts steam.
Also running steam in big picture from the desktop by simply using run from the main menu and the command steam -bigpicture
I am looking to launch right to big picture.
That is all fine on the desktop, but advanced launcher is another story.

How do I go about simply getting advanced launcher to run "steam -bigpicture"
I just can't get the settings for the launcher right.
Best I can get is a black screen and a box that hangs there.
Did you play the game: "Alone in the dark?"
LOL fritsch

(2013-04-12, 17:12)i0ls Wrote: [ -> ]I have searched quite a bit for people using advanced launcher and steam or steam games together. For the sake of possibly keeping it simple I would like to just launch steam and pick a game from there.

Have you tried my addon? Smile
(2013-07-01, 09:07)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]LOL fritsch

(2013-04-12, 17:12)i0ls Wrote: [ -> ]I have searched quite a bit for people using advanced launcher and steam or steam games together. For the sake of possibly keeping it simple I would like to just launch steam and pick a game from there.

Have you tried my addon? Smile

umm.. no honestly I haven't. I will however look into it and post back here with my results though. thanks
Teedubb big thanks for suggesting your addon, and taking the time to make it in the first place.
It saved me quite a few frustrating hours and provided a straightforward solution for me.
Thanks again!

Pardon my noob ness but I am clearly screwing this up right at step 1.
When editing default.py I am at a loss for what I should be putting in there.
I am running xbmcbuntu and have no problems running steam -bigpicture from prompt.
Reading through the post for the addon I should be adding a lot more /killall/f business?
I am looking to launch in big picture and exit back to xbmc.
I have tried just using "steam -bigpicture" for the line which didn't work in my favor.
And just adding that to the existing line and not having luck that way either.
(2013-07-01, 06:41)i0ls Wrote: [ -> ]How do I go about simply getting advanced launcher to run "steam -bigpicture"
I just can't get the settings for the launcher right.
You just have to create a stand alone launcher :
application : /usr/bin/steam
arguments : -bigpicture
Thank you for the reply
there's not an executable file I can select in /usr/bin/steam that I can find
If point the launcher at /usr/bin/steam and arguments steam -bigpicture I end up playing "alone in the dark" (lol) and the box hangs there.
If 'steam -bigpicutre' works from the command line you just need to follow the first step after installing the addon, which is from a command prompt enter:

Quote:chmod +x $HOME/.xbmc/addons/script.SteamLauncher/resources/scripts/applaunch.sh

You shouldn't have to edit default.py at all.
(2013-07-01, 21:38)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]If 'steam -bigpicutre' works from the command line you just need to follow the first step after installing the addon, which is from a command prompt enter:

Quote:chmod +x $HOME/.xbmc/addons/script.SteamLauncher/resources/scripts/applaunch.sh

You shouldn't have to edit default.py at all.

first off let me apologize for bieng a huge pita
i did exactly that the script closes xbmc and repoens it and i see a script failure message and it says something about not watching /mnt/vault (where all my media is located) then xbmc closes once again and the black screen/box hangs.
i am at a loss, it appears regardless of which method i use i end up with a black screen. why would it work in terminal and not xbmc?Confused
Are you trying from the xbmc session that auto loads on boot? I havsnt had any experience with xbmcbuntu, so bear with me. Can you try log into the desktop session from the login screen, run xbmc and try the add on like that.
Yes you are correct, I am running xbmcbuntu and have it set to auto login right into xbmc. I use this rig as htpc mostly but with the recent addition of a better video card I am looking to replace my console with it as well.
I would be happy to try to login that way and give it a go. Thanks for taking the time to work with me on this, I will be really happy when this is working.
(2013-07-02, 13:59)i0ls Wrote: [ -> ]Yes you are correct, I am running xbmcbuntu and have it set to auto login right into xbmc. I use this rig as htpc mostly but with the recent addition of a better video card I am looking to replace my console with it as well.
I would be happy to try to login that way and give it a go. Thanks for taking the time to work with me on this, I will be really happy when this is working.
That's your problem. You are under a XBMC session (mean XBMC into standalone mode, without any desktop/windows manager). So any external applications (like Steam) that require advanced windows, display, command, input or control supports, (generally managed by a desktop/windows manager) cannot work properly.

People always made this mistake. They want to use a light linux based XBMC dedicated operating system (XBMCbuntu, OpenElec, etc...) for they HTPC... and then do not understand why they could not start anything else than XBMC on it. If it is light and dedicated, it's because a lot of things (necessary for other application) have been removed from the operating systems. They are good operating system if you want to only use XBMC, but if you plan to use other application it will become really more complicated.

If you want to start external application (aka Steam) on your system you need to have at least a desktop/windows manager running on it. To do this you have 3 solutions (from the worth to the best):
  • Create a script (.sh) that you will be started from XBMC that will start a light desktop/windows manager and then will automatically launch Steam.
  • Boot your system into a light desktop/windows manager (like openbox) and then automatically start XBMC.
  • Use a linux distribution with a desktop/windows manager.
(2013-07-03, 16:29)Angelscry Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-02, 13:59)i0ls Wrote: [ -> ]Yes you are correct, I am running xbmcbuntu and have it set to auto login right into xbmc. I use this rig as htpc mostly but with the recent addition of a better video card I am looking to replace my console with it as well.

• Create a script (.sh) that you will be started from XBMC that will start a light desktop/windows manager and then will automatically launch Steam.
  • Boot your system into a light desktop/windows manager (like openbox) and then automatically start XBMC.
  • Use a linux distribution with a desktop/windows manager.

thats exactly what I was missing. i have a descent box and could run another distro it, I chose xbmcbuntu because it worked more like an appliance than a os. Without having to mess with anything it had a nice loading screen and dropped me straight into xbmc no screwing around or using a keyboard to do anything.
I suppose branching into having this replace my console as well is going to require more than I thought. I am running ubuntu on a couple of other boxes and since i clearly suck at creating or modifying any script for xbmc right now ill look into getting another distro to boot and look like xbmcbuntu (no log in, nice clean boot screen, and bring me straight to xbmc) I usually just turn it on and use the remote.
Pages: 1 2