Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How can I get black colored subtitles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As mentioned in this thread here, I'm trying to use a font to make my subtitles appear more like closed captions. Unfortunately it looks like I need to be able to change the subtitle colors to achieve the effect I'm looking for. Is there a way to do this universally by changing a setting in an XML file somewhere, or is it really needed to compile the app with a selectable black font color?
I usually convert subtitles to ASS format. But it has to do it manually for each file.

The good thing is you can trial & error until you find the one you like most. And also can select desired font for that subtitles.
That would be one way to do it I suppose, only I have almost 300 shows (not episodes, shows) and as a hard of hearing person every episode of those series are subtitled or they don't last long and get deleted to make room for other shows. It's prohibitively expensive in time consumption to have to go through all those episodes all over again to convert them all.

There has to be a better, easier way. I've already found a font that almost works as is, I just need to get the color adjusted to black for it to work all the way. Is there any way to get the color to change without a recompile?
There is an option under Settings --> Video settings --> Subtitles to set the font size and color, this is a universal setting that applies to all videos.
(2013-04-17, 19:52)nokdim Wrote: [ -> ]There is an option under Settings --> Video settings --> Subtitles to set the font size and color, this is a universal setting that applies to all videos.

Right, but there is no black text subtitles option... At least not in the build I'm running. There's a grey, a blue, even a yellow, but no black.
To jump in on this general subject -- is there any place, in an XML perhaps, to adjust the width of the subtitle border and shadow? Using size 22 subtitles, I find the border and shadow are too thin to help it stand out enough against a light video background.
Thanks for the free bump.

Seriously, is compiling your own version of XBMC the only way to get black text subtitles?
/bump

Any help with this? I'm still looking for a way to do this....
Why not submit the code change to the developers? It seems there is little interest in this from either the general usership or the devs. In common with other Open Source projects, many devs are here to scratch their own itches, and add features they want or think are cool.
When you think about how everyone spends their own personal spare time on developing, it is amazing that larger projects like the rewriting of the audio engine, the complete rewrites for hardware accelerated video decoding etc get done at all.