Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Install VLC on NAS for external player?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to try VLC as an external player. Looking at this page:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=External_players

It seems possible.
However, the example gives a Windows path to the player's exe. How can I install VLC on my Synology NAS (Linux)?

I've been trying to follow this:
http://wiki.videolan.org/UnixCompile

But I'm a novice at all this. I've always stuck to the Synology web interface.
a nas (Network Attached STORAGE) cannot play your videos. even if for some stupid reason a video player was embedded, it would be slow as f. remember, you're running on a processor that makes your phone look like a super computer. and there isn't even a gpu in sight to render the decoded data. it's like attempting to use your pc from the mid 90's.
Hmm yeah I see what you mean.

I'm running XBMC (OpenELEC) on a HTPC. Would it be possible to install VLC on the HTPC?
That depends on the hardware you have, but will probably not be possible on OpenELEC, because that is a extremely minimal linux environment.
Why do you want to use VLC as an external player any way?
Is it able to do something your OpenELEC install can not ?
Im using OpenElec 3 on my Foxconn nt-A3700. Brief specs are:

- AMD E450 Dual core 1.65GHz
- 4GB RAM
- AMD Radeon HD 6320

The reason for wanting to try VLC is because I'm having random stuttering and audio sync when playing back video. I've spent hours trying different settings and researching the internet. I've also tried installing a Broadcom Crystal HD bmc70015 but this didn't help. Maybe even made things worse.

It is much improved with OpenElec 3, but I still do get the occasional stutter.

So as part of my experimenting, I'd like to try VLC instead of DVDplayer and PAPlayer.
What openelec version are you using? (I know 3, but there are different installs for different GPUs).
(2013-04-16, 08:18)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]What openelec version are you using? (I know 3, but there are different installs for different GPUs).

I was using the generic image with the Crystal HD decoder as that has the necessary drivers. However, now I've removed the card, I'm using the Fusion image.
Are you using a wired or wireless network? Are you using samba or NFS for your shares on the NAS?
(2013-04-16, 14:09)M0dj0 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using a wired or wireless network? Are you using samba or NFS for your shares on the NAS?

Its a gigabit wired network. Media is stored on a Synology DS212+ and accessed via NFS.

I'm now looking into installing Ubuntu or even XBMCbuntu. I can then retest video playback and if the issue still exists, install VLC.