Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Slow FTP transfer Speeds to XBMCBuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, noticed a wierd issue has appeared on my xbmcbuntu install.

I have a Windows server setup with FileZilla as my File server. My XBMC server connects to the File server and the rest of the network via a TP Link Powerline Ethernet adapter.

Tonight i noticed my xbmcbuntu box was unable to stream an SD TV Show over the network. when i logged into filezilla i found the transfer speeds were around 250KB/s which is pretty shocking.
I thought it might have been the powerline adapter so I checked its connection and found it was connecting at 70mb. I made some changes to how it was plugged in and got it up to 100mb however transfer speeds did not increase.

I plugged my laptop into the socket and was able to get transfer speeds of around 5MB/s i then plugged the htpc in and found no change in speed.

I then ssh'd into the htpc and installed FTP. when doing a transfer im getting speeds of 4.8-5MB/s?

Is there any reason why the transfer speed in XBMC would be so low when its able to transfer at a good stable 5mb from the CLI?

Is there anyway i can change the daemon XBMC uses for FTP?

TLDR troubleshooting version

Unable to stream SD Movies
FTP Speeds of 250KB/s
Tried a different device over the same EoP point getting 5MB/S
installed ftp on xbmcbuntu, (sudo apt-get install ftp)
got speeds of 4.5-5MB/s
Was able to steam HD movies fine before.
Do not have a baseline of transfer speeds prior to slow down.
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
With so many ways to serve files up to xbmc, why would you want ftp why not use samba or something else.

see SMB/Windows (wiki)

If not idk, maybe upnp or some other way.

uNi
Don't like smb found the folder read times to long

Would like to get ftp speeds up though