Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Just discovered XBMC, please help.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First, let me start by saying I'm not a techie so I'm new to all of this. I'm planning on cutting the cord & found tons of praise for XBMC. I need advice on a media player ($200 or less... Preferably less). I'll most likely get subscriptions to Hulu & Netflix. I'll have an on air HD antennae. I have an old PC w/ vista & 2 yr old HP pavilion laptop g4. I've tried and have been impressed with XBMC & it's endless possibilities.

I want to get a media player to use XBMCs add-ons for movies, TV, and hopefully sports. I'm a sports guy. I don't have stored media. I want to use XBMCs add ons. What's my best bet for quality playing onto my tv? I'm confused on Pivos Xios, Rasperry Pi , Apple TV, or HTPC. Honestly I don't barely even know what the 1st 2 are! I'm sure people hate this question but you'd be helping someone who needs it.

Is apple 2 jailbroken my best option? Seems expensive. I know there isn't a jjailbreak for Apple TV 3 (got a deal on one & roku to test out).

Please give me some advice. Sorry this is long.
I see Raspberry Pi on eBay all loaded up or so I think. Confused
I use Raspberry Pi's and Apple TV Version 1 myself for hardware clients.
Pivos is new but is probably a bit more powerful than ATV or the Pi.
I dont think roku can XBMC but I could be mistaken.

Mine is like 100% stored media as far as TV and movies.

For sports there is a sports devil plugin, quality is not HD but it is free.
For over the air I actually have an HDHomerun box and all clients can tune into OTA channels.

For Hulu there is a bluecop repo plugin that is free so you dont need a hulu plus subscription.
There are a few plugins like MLB and NHL I think you can pay MLB or NHL direct and login with the XBMC login.

As much as I love XBMC I don't think there are great solutions for sports streaming since the big TV companies have contracts with the NHL and such direct to be the exclusive providers.
(2013-04-24, 19:43)Fast_Ed Wrote: [ -> ]I have an old PC w/ vista & 2 yr old HP pavilion laptop g4. I've tried and have been impressed with XBMC & it's endless possibilities.

Before you "cut the cord" or spend money on a new system (be it RPi, ATV, Pivo XIOS, or HTPC), you should get comfortable with XBMC, Netflix and Hulu (the latter two offer trial memberships) on your old laptop to see if they give you and your family everything you want.
Thanks for the input guys! Also, Artrafael we're currently trying the memberships out on a trial basis.

I might convert my desktop (we rarely use it except to update our iphones) to an htpc.

Anyone ever do this?
(2013-04-25, 03:27)Fast_Ed Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the input guys! Also, Artrafael we're currently trying the memberships out on a trial basis.

I might convert my desktop (we rarely use it except to update our iphones) to an htpc.

Anyone ever do this?

I did. I used to be a huge gamer, then got married blah blah long story short it was barely used but for Facebook etc. Now my tower is in the living room with nothing but an Internet browser & XBMC. Love it
I have an inspiron 530s I want to use. I don't have personal media files (TV or movies) I'm looking to use the addons to watch movies, TV shows & sports (I hope).

I made a thread in "hardware" to seek out advice.