Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbmc freezes on the "xbmc" startup logo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Xbmc freezes on the "xbmc" startup logo after disabling the integrated graphics AMD Radeon HD6530 and installing a dedicated Geforce 210 for Xbmcbuntu.

The inital problem I was having was resolution issues, if I did not turn the tv on manually about 3 seconds after powering on the htpc the resolution would be halfway off the screen, also wanted the htpc to control the power on/off for tv and the HD6530 was not controlling that either. After doing some searching it looked like Nvidia would have better results so I wanted to test out one of my Nvidia cards. I added the Geforce card and was initally able to log into xbmc/and xbmcbuntu, however the video signal was still using the 6530 video output (I was not getting a signal out of the Geforce yet). Again after a little more internet searching I realized I needed to disable the 6530 and enable the Geforce in the Bios. At this point the video signal began to work out of the Geforce and I was initally able to log into xbmcbuntu. I then logged out of xmbcbuntu and logged into xbmc but I just got a blank screen and had to press the reset button to unfreeze. At this point the login was set to xbmc and now it just keeps hangin on the xbmc logo screen. I've attempted 3 times with same results, now it is set to boot to xbmc so I can't even get to a login to get to xbmcbuntu. I'm very much still a amatuer with Linux. I haven't tried to go back to the HD6530 yet, I assuming that will not be a problem.

Unable to create a Debug since it freezes right away.
Cpu is an amd A6 3500 with onboard HD6530
My build was from xbmcbuntu-12.00-RC3.AMD
I upgraded to Frodo 12.1 using (ppa:team-xbmc/ppa) earlier today hoping that would fix the resolution issue.

And that's what brought me to this point. I'm thinking xbmc is looking for the HD6530 and thats why it may be freezing, any suggestions on unfreezing it and getting the Geforce to work? My media library is on a seperate server so I can do a complete reinstall if that is what is needed, would like some suggestions first.
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

(2013-04-24, 22:57)Skyerio Wrote: [ -> ]Xbmc freezes on the "xbmc" startup logo after disabling the integrated graphics AMD Radeon HD6530 and installing a dedicated Geforce 210 for Xbmcbuntu.
Quote:My build was from xbmcbuntu-12.00-RC3.AMD

Maybe you should be using the Intel-NVIDIA build instead, since that is now the graphics card you are using?
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/XBMCbun...NVIDIA.iso
Thanks for the input, sounds like a plan.
This will give me practice on installing and tweaking again for future htpcs in other rooms.
or you could have used an Xvba build and saved the extra nvidia card: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=116996
I was unaware of the Xvba build and your right, it could have saved me the card.
I've since reinstalled using xbmcbuntu-12.00.Intel-NVIDIA and updated to 12.1. Initially I had problems after this install with OpenGl on the Nvidia drivers after updating but I believe not rebooting the pc may have been the issue because this morning after getting back to work on this the OpenGl issues were gone, (scratching head).

The new Nvidia card has fixed the original resolution problem of turning off/on the tv while htpc is on and the resolution being wrong. It still does not Auto turn off/on the Tv like I was hoping, but small issue for now.
Turning tv auto on/off is a function of CEC, so neither GPU you had/have will support that. Unless I'm missing something.

uNi
ahh, that explains that. I thought that was controlled thru the HDMI cable by the GPU, so is that control possible without getting one the the external boxes such as http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/product...apter.aspx
Only on Raspeberry Pi which has CEC support built in, not many GPU's actually support CEC via HDMI. Rare they are. Something vendors dont implement because they want to charge you more for same crap with an extra feature later, or make you buy more crap.

uNi