Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Automatically scale aspect ratio?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I still don't understand, if you only want to to apply that to only the movie, tv show or whatever you are currently playing back, why are you selecting "Set as default for all videos"?
Ok, picture this. Im not talking about 1 single video, obviously one video only requires temporary adjustment so no point saving the settings.
You have A) tv shows which dont require scaling and picture fills screen correctly.
You now watching a bunch of shows which are B) 4.3 (black bars on left/right side) and you want it scaled to fill screen e.g. 16:9 , everybody goes double "fat" when you select 16:9, then you select the NON linear stretch which minimizes the centre screen stretching and when you save this for all videos, when next you play the original videos A) they now have bars on top/bottom.that weren't previously there.

Hence applying non linear stretch and saving for all videos fixes B) and breaks A) and when you fix A) it breaks B) and around you go.

uNi
That's what I'm saying, you should apply default behaviour to what suits the majority of your videos then for everything else it may need to be changed on a per video basis. I never use any form of stretching so I'm not convinced that the "non linear" option should not have an effect where no zooming is applied as there's no form of conditional arrangement in the OSD, so what you describe maybe expected behaviour and that it needs to be disabled where not required.

Would be one for the devs to confirm either way.
The majority of content is mixed newer series are ok but older are 4:3

It use to work just fine, this behaviour as I described is "new" to Frodo+, hence why Im thinking bug.

It would be nice to have a dev comment however bobo10n1 was the person who developed this feature (non linear stretch) and he's MIA.

uNi
Ah ok, probably is a bug then if it used to work fine prior to Frodo
I agree that black bars are unlikely to cause any problems with burn-in on modern plasmas.

I have a Panasonic 50" plasma TV and watch a lot of old 4:3 TV shows and classic movies and have had no problems at all in three years.

I find that zooming them to full screen cuts off too much of the picture at the top and bottom and also the picture can get quite grainy. So I have mapped the ZoomIn and ZoomOut actions to two unused keys on my keyboard and zoom the picture out until the black bars each side occupy about 5% of the screen each side. I find this is a good compromise, and with the two actions keymapped it's no hassle at all. You only need to do this once per video as the setting is retained.
(2013-04-26, 03:51)Kibje Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-25, 21:33)msarro Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-25, 21:20)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Why the hell would you want to show 4:3 as 16:9? Everyone will be fat.

Fat people bother me less than burn in on a $1200 plasma television Smile

Guy buys 1200 dollar TV to watch video in the wrong resolution.

Seriosuly, if you watch different types of content and don't watch 48 hours in a row you will not get permanent burn-in with modern TV's.

Want to buy me a new TV? If not, recognize that appropriate resolution is your priority and not mine.

Because I'm using a Samsung TV, I am limited with brightness, cell light, and contrast options, as well as color settings when connected directly from a PC via a HDMI->HDMI cable. The PC "pixel perfect" mode strips away a TON of your options with the TV, with the assumption you will control them from the PC side. One of the major problems is it limits the picture modes you have access to down to two - I basically have to keep my TV in torch mode (for PC devices it is called "entertain" mode) because if I don't, I am stuck with the energy-star mode which can barely be seen at the back of the room. So, after 2 hours of watching 4:3 video with black bars, I see image retention when I run white slides against the tv.

Hell, the XBMC confluence theme's clock in the upper right hand corner caused image retention. 24 hours of playing mass effect spread over a few weeks left the circle from the mini map that took over 48 hours of running color slides to go away.

The only way to open up more options (movie mode, etc) is to switch off of "PC" mode, but then I start having to deal with overscan/underscan problems, weird text issues, etc.

This approach works for me, everything is crisp and clear. I'm the one watching the TV 99% of the time, and frankly I don't care if video is scaled weird. Given the sheer volume of 4:3 video that I watch and my experience with the tv thus far, yes, image burn in is way more of a concern. If it's something that looks really bad I'll switch it off. I can't switch off burn-in.

As for all of the suggestions, the scale 4:3 option to 16:9 seems to work GREAT! The only issue I have seen thus far is sometimes when playing back a 4:3 dvd, there will be a small black bar on the right side when at splash screens and menus. This goes away when playing the actual video though.
Just goes to show xbmc is flexible enough to please us all.
Pages: 1 2