Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Automatically scale aspect ratio?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey everyone. I have been struggling with my mac mini, connected to my samsung 51" e7000 plasma. The major issue I have been running into is largely a learning curve for me - trying to figure out why when my input is set to "PC" settings I lost all of my ability to change color and view mode settings.

Today after seing a good breakdown, I learned that the reason the Samsung TV does this is to allow the PC to control all color tweaks - it literally displays bit for bit what the PC tells it. That's fine, and it means I can get back my nice crisp display from the "PC" mode setting.

I still have a remaining problem - I have a lot of older videos which are in 4:3 or other weird aspect ratios. When these get played, there are huge black bars on either side, or on the bottom. If I play enough of these and switch to a white slide, I can see image retention kicking in.

So, what is the option to automatically scale video in XBMC? I was looking at the wiki here and here, and I don't seem to see anything that mentions a global setting. One describes 4:3 video only, the other lists a bunch of scaling methods but doesn't seem to have any option to globally enable it.

Is there a checkbox somewhere that will do a simple, "scale this video to the monitor resolution" for videos of every aspect ratio?
Settings -> Video -> Playback -> Display 4:3 Video As
And this will also change how other videos, non-4:3, are displayed too?
No, but if while in playback you bring up the on-screen display and select video settings you can choose zoom and other display characteristics which will be saved for that file. Difficult to give exact guidance if they're all different shapes and sizes.
NP - I'm used to using stuff like MPC and VLC where I can just hit alt+enter and it will handle the scaling for me Smile
So long as it's as easy as using the OSD, that is no big deal. I appreciate the help, thanks!
If i press OK a few times on my remote it cycles between
Code:
Strech 4:3 -> Wide Zoom -> Stretch 16:9 -> Original Size -> Custom -> Normal -> Zoom

Choose the zoom mode you like.
Then go to OSD, select the video icon and at the bottom select 'Set as default for all Movies'
Why the hell would you want to show 4:3 as 16:9? Everyone will be fat.
Im gonna go with not wanting black bars horizontally on videos

And if you select non linear stretch in OSD they are not so fat (no matter what scaling used) however it will break all other videos saved defaults. That last bit /me thinks its a bug but hey.

uNi
(2013-04-25, 21:20)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Why the hell would you want to show 4:3 as 16:9? Everyone will be fat.

Fat people bother me less than burn in on a $1200 plasma television Smile
(2013-04-25, 21:20)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Why the hell would you want to show 4:3 as 16:9? Everyone will be fat.

But it's better than implants for some girls.
(2013-04-25, 21:33)msarro Wrote: [ -> ]

Fat people bother me less than burn in on a $1200 plasma television Smile

Guy buys 1200 dollar TV to watch video in the wrong resolution.

Seriosuly, if you watch different types of content and don't watch 48 hours in a row you will not get permanent burn-in with modern TV's.
True that, also of course you can zoom so it stays in proportion, but you lose the top and bottom of the picture.

Some modern TVs have a smart zoom that stretches the picture unevenly, so the middle of the picture is stretched less than the edges. As most of the action is in the middle, the stretching is less noticeable. Can XBMC do this?
Ive already said yes, in OSD select non linear stretch, the middle portion is not stretched so much, however when saving that in conjunction with other scaling options zoom, 16:9 etc and saving for all videos, currently it breaks the saved defaults for videos that dont require it and then they display with bars top/bottom (which I think is a bug and dont have anyone confirming anything)

Someone could test this out and fill a bug report.

uNi
(2013-04-26, 09:06)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]saving for all videos, currently it breaks the saved defaults for videos that dont require it and then they display with bars top/bottom (which I think is a bug and dont have anyone confirming anything)

Unless I've completely misunderstood, how is that a bug? Selecting "Set as default for all videos" does exactly as it says, it saves the changes you've made as the default for all videos Huh so every video will now have those changes as the default so of course it will break anything different you'd previously set for other videos Huh If you want to apply settings on a per video basis go into OSD make your changes then quit OSD and they will be remembered as the default for that video only.
In conjunction with non linear stretch option being selected and saving for all videos will break stuff for e.g. other videos that dont use scaling. Try it.

uNi
Pages: 1 2