Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MKV: Problems with chapters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

sometimes I have a problem with chapters in MKV-files: If I would like go to the next chapter, then the movie starts at the beginning or XBMC ignores my input. Also XBMC cannot detect the current chapter in those files, when I jump to an arbitary position in the movie (using the progress-bar). - It always says: "chapter 0/n".

I have created the those MKVs with handbrake. But the problem does not occure with all MKVs, I have created with handbrake.
All the MKVs works well with VLC and smplayer.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thomas

--
XBMC 4:12.1-dmo2 (Debian whezzy)
I've noticed this in nightly builds (wiki), but 12.1 should be okay, also using with MKVs made with Handbrake. Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when this happens?
I am very, very sorry ...

Creating the debug log shows me why some movies have the problems and others have not: For some reasons some of my movies created with handbrake are MP4 ones and these are the ones with the chapter problems, not the MKV ones.

Using Google I get the answer, why XBMC have problems with those MP4s: "MP4 also supports chapters, for which HandBrake uses Apple's chapter format." (http://is.gd/frOMhP) and I think, XBMC cannot handle "Apple's chapter format".

But I do not understand why XBMC shows the count of existing chapter, but cannot handle it. The better way IMO, if it really cannot handle it, is to ignore chapters at all (for MP4s with Apple's chapter format). Is there an option to activate that? Or is there a way to ask for a feature-request to handle (or ignore) "Apple's chapter format"?

Thank you

Thomas
XBMC supports MP4 chapters too. That's what I tested with. Even using Apple pre-sets in Handbrake should work just fine with XBMC. Upload that debug log on http://xbmclogs.com and we'll see why it's not working.
Here is it: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=15150

I guess the problem is logged around lines 285/293 and 326 and 376 and ... . (It is logged more than once, because I tried it more than once. Wink )

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thomas
Were the logs useful in any way?

Thanks

Thomas
Always upload a full log, not snippets.
Hello there, I think I have the same problem!

My case is an MKV file with chapters for Opening and Ending sequence, which are located in separate MKV-files (indicated by Segment UIDs). The OP and ED files have no chapter entries.

What is expected: When I play the file, it should start the Opening sequence, and then continue on to the Episode file and then Ending. It should also be able to skip between the chapters.

What happens: When I play the file (episode) it states (upper left) that it is Chapter: 01/03 - (Opening), but it is actually playing the Episode file/chapter. When I try to skip back or forward it starts at 0:00 on the Episode file/chapter again.

What I tried/checked: I checked the UIDs and even tried re-muxing the files with mkvmerge (6.2.0). I also re-created the chapter entries. Didn't work Undecided Well at least not for XBMC, since both the originals and the re-muxed files work as expected in MPC-HC and other players with LAV or Haali splitter.

I uploaded full logs here: XBMC log, Media Info log, Chapters (exported from the episode file).

I hope the logs help! It's really not a application breaking thing, but it would sure be nice if it did work as expected! Smile
(2013-06-01, 17:11)enoreckeephi Wrote: [ -> ]Hello there, I think I have the same problem!

My case is an MKV file with chapters for Opening and Ending sequence, which are located in separate MKV-files (indicated by Segment UIDs). The OP and ED files have no chapter entries.
If I've understood right, then you're talking about Ordered Chapters with Segment Linking, if so it doesn't work because XBMC does not supported Ordered Chapters, see this long thread on it http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55764

Why are you ripping stuff this way?
Thanks for replying, and thanks for the link! So then my problem is not the same.

I read the thread and will be trying external players feature to enable it. As to why rip stuff this way? If you read the thread that you linked, there's lots of reasons, I don't think I need to repeat Smile

Edit:
Btw, I tried muxing with "append" so they all would be in the same file (OP>EP>ED). Then chapters navigation worked for me. So at least chapters in a single file works in my case. However that defeats the purpose in this case, where cut of opening and ending scenes in separate files would save GBs of data for a whole series, while still allowing them them to be included when playing each episode.