Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Target release date for Android (Ouya store)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ouya seems to be promoting XBMC in some of their official press releases (awesome!) .. so a lot of people are wondering why it's not in the Ouya store.

Is there a rough target date for XBMC's Android release, or more specifically it's upload to the Ouya store?

Is the plan to have it in place (even in beta) in time for the official June Ouya release?

Cheers
OUYA is just an Android device without the official Google Play store.

So just use the Android XBMC version for now. Download the APK file from say. http://www.xbmcandroid.com/

Hopefully there will be a XBMC version that will have real hardware accelerated video decoding somewhere down the line. if not i will be the first one to burn my little OUYA box once i get it. But for now use the filthy and dirty Android version with external video player..
I know the APKs are available now. In fact there are already beta Android builds with hardware acceleration. And, yes, they can be side-loaded onto an Ouya with a ~10 step process that includes installing the Android SDK and plugging the Ouya into your PC.

I was hoping to find out when this will become a one-step process: i.e. the target date for an official XBMC Android release and entry into the Ouya store.
(2013-05-05, 08:37)Krankdroid Wrote: [ -> ]OUYA is just an Android device without the official Google Play store.

So just use the Android XBMC version for now. Download the APK file from say. http://www.xbmcandroid.com/

Hopefully there will be a XBMC version that will have real hardware accelerated video decoding somewhere down the line. if not i will be the first one to burn my little OUYA box once i get it. But for now use the filthy and dirty Android version with external video player..

The XBMC libstagefright test builds have had real hardware video decoding for months. I've used it myself, and it works wonderfully (possibly the best I've ever seen XBMC run on an Android device). There's a big sticky link pointing to them, as well as a link in the Android FAQ (wiki).
Ned, is there anything you can share about the target dates to merge XBMC Android into the main trunk and when it might appear on the Ouya app store?

Thanks
There are no target dates. It's simply a matter of "when it's done". There's been some talk about doing a mid-stable release for XBMC for Android and hardware decoding, so people don't have to wait till the end of the year for the next version of XBMC v13 to be release, but even that isn't totally decided. As far as I know, things are proceeding at a good pace, and reasonably stable test builds that work on the Ouya are available now. We may or may not be on the Ouya store when it goes to retail, but XBMC will always be installable on retail Ouyas.
Thank you Ned. Smile