Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Disable Fanart over Network (Performance)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently using XBMC v12 with a local database of movies which is stored on an SMB share. Each movie has fanart and a thumbnail which is stored locally on my Pi's SD card, and downloaded from The Movie Database automatically when the library is updated. Even though every file currently has fan art which is cached locally, I'm seeing a lot of requests for it over the SMB share (in the same directory as each movie file), which fail due to nonexistent files. I feel this is one of the things slowing down the browsing of the share -- each movie directory (82 total at present, plans for 500+) seems to have at least 10 requests made for files (poster.jpg, poster.png, banner.jpg, banner.png, thumb.jpg, thumb.png, movie.tbn, folder.jpg, fanart.jpg, fanart.png) which don't exist. This appears to add ~0.2-0.3 seconds per file of sluggishness, which although done after the directory file listing is shown, makes the initial file browsing very slow on the Pi (100% CPU), which is very limited by its 700MHz processor. Once these listings have stopped, the browsing is smooth.

Is there an easy way to turn off these file checks? That is, without building an XBMC with the lines commented out Wink. I need not have networked fanart. It will always be downloaded.

Below: Wireshark capture to show what the Pi's doing. *.219 is the Pi, *.150 is my desktop.

http://i.imgur.com/68wwN5U.png

Thanks