Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Background music for photo slideshows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had noticed some time ago how there was a request to play music while photo slideshows were active. I think the best suggestion at the time was to go to your music library and start an album perhaps and go back to home page, then to pictures.....
I've started using a different approach that simply entails entering pictures from the home page and music just starts.
The process is as follows:
1. Create a folder with the music you want to play during slide shows, can be just a mixture of tracks from whatever source you want. Place them in a folder in add-ons--user data--playlists--music, call the folder picture music or whatever you like. You can edit your selection with Tag and Rename so they all have different track numbers.
2. Using notepad create an m3u for the set of tracks, name it pictures.m3u and put it in the same folder for convenience in case you want to add tracks and edit the m3u later
3.Using notepad once again, create a python script with the following text in it:

#execute targeted script at startup.
import xbmc
xbmc.executebuiltin( "PlayMedia(C:\Users\yourcomputername\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\playlists\music\pictures.m3u)" )
xbmc.executebuiltin( "PlayerControl(RandomOn)" )

Save as pictures.py

*you can drop the 'RandomOn' line if you want to always play the tracks in the same order
** make it a python script by just making the extension .py on saving

4. Open Home.xml and add the following line to 'ActivateWindow(Pictures):

<onclick>XBMC.RunScript(C:\Users\yourcomputername\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\pictures.py)</onclick>

(you can add it just below the other 'onclick')

That's it. Every time you open pictures from the home menu the music will start.

I was going to try to put this in the tips/tricks but I don't have permission. If a moderator thinks it worthy feel free to move it Smile