Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Buffering local files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a huge problem have been googling and searching this and other forums, but most people have trouble with buffering over network, mine is from playing local files. So I'm thinking it is a setting, I tried re-installing xbmc, and also tried changing settings as I read in different forums, but now I'm ready to give up.

I'm getting the buffering message in the top right cornor, then it count up percentages, usually takes arround 8-10 seconds, but it happends very often, but vary how often it appers, but between 5 minuest and 30 minutes. So you can see it is very annoying.

I've made a log file, what else do I need for you guys to help:

specs:
i3 2125 3.3 ghz
8 gb ram
ati 4550

The pc is connected to an onkyo507 with hdmi, and from there to the tv with hdmi.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=16281
I too am having this issue on a system more than capable enough to play the video. I have tried everything!
Use the keyboard 'o' command when watching movie, you can often see bottle necks. Hardware or the drivers are the usual culprits, so be sure you have the latest drivers and if your CPU has the horse power try software decoding. Failing that leave a proper debug log with a pastebin linked back to the forum. Make sure you see the issue before posting the debug.
Im not too sure what I should be looking at after pressing 'o'. I see the buffer jumping from 100% down to 50% and then down to 0%. Everything is up to date. I recently installed an SSD so i reinstalled windows so everything is a fresh install. Before I was streaming the video from another computer on my network it worked great, now the hard drives are in this system and I get this buffering issue.

Here is the link for the pastebin (I hope its right, ive never had to send a log before): http://pastebin.com/gFUDJ5bh
Suggest you to check the xbmc audio settings.
Are you having this issue across all file formats? I had a similar issue with a few Blu-ray ISOs, but once I converted them to MKV, the issue disappeared. Since ISO and MKV are just containers, I'm unsure of the difference that would cause local buffering.
What am i supposed to be checking in regards to the audio settings? I have tried everything, changed those settings a ton of times. Still having issues.

Derekjason, It seems to be with any file type. My system is a core 2 quad with 8gbs of ram and a hd 5770. I never had issues before when streaming the files from my main pc over the network. This is getting to the point where I want to use another program, which sucks because i freaking love xbmc! I even got a new hard drive as i though the drive was dying, turns out it was. The files were playing just fine up until this morning when the problem came back! I just dont know what to do and there doesnt seem to be any solid answers anywhere. I might just go back a couple versions and hope that works for now!
(2013-06-07, 12:59)Damagecase13 Wrote: [ -> ]What am i supposed to be checking in regards to the audio settings? I have tried everything, changed those settings a ton of times. Still having issues.

Derekjason, It seems to be with any file type. My system is a core 2 quad with 8gbs of ram and a hd 5770. I never had issues before when streaming the files from my main pc over the network. This is getting to the point where I want to use another program, which sucks because i freaking love xbmc! I even got a new hard drive as i though the drive was dying, turns out it was. The files were playing just fine up until this morning when the problem came back! I just dont know what to do and there doesnt seem to be any solid answers anywhere. I might just go back a couple versions and hope that works for now!

For video issues caused by audio settings, check this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911

I've found the following settings to work best as a starting point, even if the PC is connected directly to a TV via HDMI:

Audio output: Analog
Speaker configuration: 2.0
Audio output device: Directsound device
This may not match your problem exactly, but I’ll past it anywayz.

I used to have these two problems.

1: Random audio/video stutter when watching a Blu-ray ISO, accompanied by a loud noise (bzzz-bzz-bzzz) that lasted 2-3 seconds and recurred frequently. How frequently, depends on the computers energy saving settings.

I solved it by turning of the timer that saves energy by stopping the hard drives from spinning. Apparently the stutter came from some type of electricity surge when the hard drives began to spin again. This probably happened after XBMC came to the end of the stored data in the RAM and needed to retrieve more data from the hard drive(?).

If you have Windows you should go to Start menu => Control panel => Hardware and Sound => Power Options => click on "Change plan settings" => click on "Change advanced power settings" => click on "Hard disk" => click on "Turn of hard disk after" => set it to "Never" => click "OK" at the bottom.

2: Buffering issues when watching a Blu-ray ISO from two of my hard drives, but not from my other hard drives. Eventually I realized that the buffering was due to the fact that these two hard drives where connected to a 4x PCI-E card http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/U3S6 that had two SATA 3 ports.

This card was supposed to speed things up, instead it did the opposite. I don't know why, but it was the cause of the buffering problem. I connected the hard drives to SATA 2.0 ports on the main motherboard and the buffering problem stopped.

This won't solve everyone's problems, but could be helpful in specific circumstances. I have reposted in different threads incase it could be useful to someone.

(W7, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Xonar Essence ST, Onkyo receiver, Sony projector, Eden and Transparency! 4.x)