Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [XBMCbuntu] Remote share - Could not connect to network server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I upgraded to Frodo on my XBMCbuntu box recently using apt-get and ever since, I've been seeing this error a lot when running many of my video and program add-ons:
Remote share - Could not connect to network server

Sometimes when I see the dialog, whatever I was trying to browse or play fails, but sometimes a stream will start in the background with that error dialog in the foreground until I click OK to dismiss it. It happens even when I'm doing something that shouldn't require network access as far as I can tell, like running the Commands add-on to try to execute something local. Here's a debug log pasted right after restartig XBMC and triggering the error by running a custom command using the Commands add-on:

http://pastebin.com/iJMCuN3w

I don't know if they're related or not, but here are some errors that seem persistent in my log files, no matter which skin I'm using, which add-ons and scripts I try to disable, etc.:

Code:
xbmc@zbox:~$ cat .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | grep ERROR
19:43:58 T:3051210512   ERROR: CAESinkOSS::EnumerateDevicesEx - Failed to open mixer: /dev/mixer
19:43:59 T:3051210512   ERROR: GLX: Same window as before, refreshing context
19:44:00 T:3051210512   ERROR: Window Translator: Can't find window joystick
19:44:00 T:3051210512   ERROR: Keymapping error: no such action 'xbmc.playmedia()' defined
19:44:06 T:3002067824   ERROR: Use of deprecated functionality. Please to not assume that "os.getcwd" will return the script directory.

I'm at a loss for how to get rid of any of those errors, but most importantly I'd really love to get rid of the 'Remote share' error dialogs that pop up while running add-ons. Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Nobody else seeing this kind of thing at all? I wonder if it's because I upgraded from Eden? Should I have installed from scratch? The thing that's really baffling me about it is why it happens even for things that have nothing to do with a Remote share. Does anyone know what things besides say, Samba could cause this error?
Please excuse one last bump. It would really be great if anyone has an idea what is causing these errors. Debug log in original post but please let me know if there's any additional info I can provide. Thanks for reading!
At what line in the debug log does this occur?
Thanks for the response. The commands script which is what I used to trigger the error message was executed at line 1573:
Code:
19:58:17 T:3078321936   DEBUG: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory (plugin://script.commands/)

... and it finally fails around lines 1604-1606:
Code:
19:58:20 T:2929716080   DEBUG:  WaitOnScriptResult - plugin exited prematurely - terminating
19:58:20 T:3078321936   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://script.commands/
19:58:20 T:3078321936   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://script.commands/) failed

I can trigger the same error dialog on screen using various video addons such as YouTube or 1Channel. Some menu items cause the error and some don't. If it would be helpful for me to trigger the error using a video addon let me know and I can do that when I get home.

In the case of this log, I used the Commands script specifically because I don't think that addon is trying to do anything with a "remote share" and the error message seems particularly strange to me in that case. It's as if XBMC is considering "plugin://script.commands/" a remote address, and if that's the case, I would expect to see more lines like 1605 and 1606 whenever I trigger the error with any plugin, but I have no idea where the location plugin://script.xxxxxx is defined, or how to make sure it's found properly instead fo failing 3 seconds after selecting something.
One last bump. If nobody has any ideas I guess I'll make a USB stick with an XBMCbuntu 12.2 image and see how it treats me. I was hoping to avoid starting from scratch as it took me a long time to get my bluetooth keyboard and suspend/wake on USB for my Flirc working properly, but I sort of suspect things didn't upgrade cleanly between Eden and Frodo.

EDIT: also, even if I could get rid of the error by installing fresh, I'd still love it if someone could tell my why this is the error message I'm getting from add-ons that aren't attempting (to my knowledge) to access something that could be considered a "remote share."

Thanks
Well, if anyone is curous, it seems the reason I was getting that error is because that's the generic error dialog any add-on throws when any error occurs?

Over the weekend I started writing a simple add-on, and when I didn't call any Python libraries, a simple 'print "Hello World!"' Python script threw the "Remote share - Could not connect to network server" error even though it wasn't trying to connect to anything yet. I guess this is intentional behavior?
Hi,

I did the same upgrade and now it's not working anymore..
seams that you had no answer but have you found a solution?
I would be interested ! :-))
Thanks in advance
-Tinken
Disable xbmc version check service.
(2013-10-30, 01:57)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Disable xbmc version check service.

Sorry, but didn't worked, disabling xbmc version check.

Any other solution?

Thank you all.